This cookbook is an example that can be used to change the passenger worker count and reconfigure passenger_monitor. In this case, we are reducing the worker count and increasing the memory limit on passenger_monitor so that an app that has high memory requirements can run without being killed for bloating.
- Clone this repo, then copy this directory into your custom cookbooks directory.
- Change the variables at the top of recipes/default.rb to match your app, desired worker count and memory limits
- Then edit your custom cookbook main/recipes/default.rb and add require_recipe "ey-passenger-tweaks"
- The syntax in this recipe is set to work with our cookbooks version >=1.1.116 if you are running any older version of the main cookbooks, then the memory_limit variable in the recipe needs to be provided in bytes, not MB
- This recipe is only made to work with a single app, as it's more of a proof of concept. It could be tweaked to loop through each app when creating the cron tasks, but it is not advisable to reduce worker count in a multi-app environment, as you may not have enough workers to serve requests
- You will restart Nginx twice on every Chef run with this recipe. If that is a problem then you will need to investigate keep-filing nginx.conf and loading up a custom stack config (maybe custom-stack.conf, rather than stack.conf)