Zoho ManageEngine Local Privilege Escalation
- Reference: https://www.manageengine.com/products/desktop-central/elevation-of-system-privilege.html
- CVEs: CVE-2018-13411, CVE-2018-13412
- Application: Desktop Central Agent, Self Service Portal Desktop Central
- Notification Date: July 5, 2018
What was the Problem?
Unauthorized users, whose computer is installed with Desktop Central Agent were able to access command prompt with SYSTEM privilege.
- Desktop Central Version less than < 10.0.282
How do I fix it?
This has been identified and fixed on Aug 23, 2018. To apply this fix, follow the below steps:
- Log in to your Desktop Central console, click on your current build number on the top right corner.
- You can find the latest build applicable to you. Download the PPM and update.
In most ManageEngine windows that runs as system, you can also get Self Service Portal Desktop Central window running as system by executing this command:
C:\Program Files (x86)\DesktopCentral_Agent\bin\dcagenttrayicon.exe" -ssp. When getting the window, there is a comment "Powered by Managed Engine Desktop Central" and it has ManageEngine logo. By clicking on the logo, it will open the link in a web browser which then runs as SYSTEM as well. To abuse these vulnerabilities, you can open a CMD.exe or PowerShell.exe from the browser.