Pig Latin is a language game where words are "translated" according to the following rules:
- For words that are all consonants, simply add "ay" to the end of the word. Thus, "try" becomes "tryay".
- For words that begin with vowels, simply add "way" to the end of the word. Thus, "a" becomes "away"; "at" becomes "atway"; "ermine" becomes "ermineway."
- For words beginning with "qu," move the "qu" to the end of the word and add ay. Thus "question" becomes "estionquay".
- For words that begin with consonants, move the leading consonant(s) to the end of the word and add "ay." Thus, "ball" becomes "allbay"; "button" becomes "uttonbay"; "star" becomes "arstay"; "three" becomes "eethray";
Comparing letters of a
For this assignment you will need to test the letters of a
String one letter at a time for vowels. There are at least two ways to access one letter of a
sWord.substring(0,1).equals("a")will test if the first letter of
sWord.charAt(0) == 'a'will also test if the first letter of
Suggested steps to complete this assignment
- Complete the following custom codingbat problems:
findFirstVowel(). Don't forget to log in to codingbat!
- Fork and clone down this repository.
- Run the program. You should see the following output:
there are 8 lines
- You need to finish the two methods
pigLatinso that the program will correctly translate the words into Pig Latin. You can use your solution from the codingbat problem to complete
int findFirstVowel(String sWord). It returns the position of the first 'a', 'e', 'i', 'o' or 'u'. If the word contains no vowels (like "try"), the method should return -1.
- Now, modify the
pigLatin()method to implement all four rules of pig latin shown above. Rule 1 has already been implemented for you. When you've implemented all four rules correctly, the output should be:
- Submit the URL of your finished PigLatin repository to the school loop drop box.
If you have extra time, you could try to modify the program to convert entire passages of English to Pig Latin, like the one below.
The Lowell Hymn:
With heads bared we stand,
In tribute to thee,
Our Alma-Mater Lowell,
All true to thee we'll be.
Unfurled red and white,
None shall thee decry,
They name we love,
Oh Lowell High.
The Lowell Hymn in Pig Latin:
Ithway eadshay aredbay eway andstay,
Inway ibutetray otay eethay,
Ourway Alma-Materway Owelllay,
Allway uetray otay eethay e'llway ebay.
Unfurledway edray andway itewhay,
Onenay allshay eethay ecryday,
Eythay amenay eway ovelay,
Ohway Owelllay Ighhay.