Foreman Application Centric Deployment
A plugin to bring an user self service portal and application centric deployment to Foreman.
The target of this plugin is, to deploy whole applications which include multiple hosts and an Ansible Playbook / saltstack state to configure the application.
This plugin follows the idea of different user types working together. The administrative user creates application definitions including multiple servers and configuration management items (Ansible Playbook, saltstack state). The user can create and deploy new application instances with an easy to use self service portal.
Example Application Definition: To run a complex web application, a loadbalancer is required. The loadbalancer routes the requests to 3 different web servers. The web servers are using a database which is in high availability mode on 2 hosts. => 6 hosts are required.
This plugin aims to setup all 6 hosts and to deploy the application.
In the current state the plugin can be used to provide an easy to use self service user portal to deploy new servers.
- Self service portal for single host deployments (current version)
- Add application deployment with single host requirements
- Add application deployment with multi host requirements
This plugin is in development. In the current state, a self service portal to deploy single servers can be created.
See How_to_Install_a_Plugin for how to install Foreman plugins
ATM, Katello plugin need to exist, too.
Application Definition (Admin)
- Create an Application Definition (Configure -> Application Definition) first
- Select the Hostgroup you want to use.
- Specifiy the values, a user could overwrite. (you can set a default value, if you want)
Application Instance (User)
- Create an Application Instance (Configure -> Application Instrane)
- Select the Application Definition which should be used
- Set the values. Remember, all parameters need to have a value.
- Save the Application Instance
- To Deploy the host, select "Deploy" in the Action selection dropdown field on the Application Instance index site
- Add ansible playbook / saltstack support to configure the application
- Multi-host support
- Add validation to the different parameter types
Fork and send a Pull Request. Thanks!
Copyright (c) 2019 ATIX AG
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.