You can help us with your translation efforts!
It is quite easy and can be done right in your browser.
And it doesn't matter if you
- just want to review your preferred language's translations by other contributors or
- want to add some phrases or
- or want to improve existing translations
- or want to request your own language if it isn't available yet.
Any help will be appreciated. No matter how much you are willing to contribute.
Our community of translators is active on the transifex.com website! It is crowd-sourcing at its best.
Here is a list of already requested translations that still need some help:
- Nepali (ne)
- Burmese (my)
- Uzbek (uz)
- Sinhala (sl)
- Esperanto (eo)
- Panjabi (Punjabi) (pa)
- Icelandic (is)
- Urdu (is)
- tagalog (tl)
- Malayalam (ml)
- Hindi (hi)
- Tamil (ta)
- Kurdish (ku)
- Norwegian (non-Bokmål, that's already quite active) (nl)
- Bengali (bn)
- Filipino (fil)
- Khmer (km)
- Belarusian (be)
- Azerbaijani (az)
- Estonian (et)
Or just request your own language!
Here are some steps about how to get started:
- Please go to https://www.transifex.com/free-software-for-android/adaway/
- Login or create a new account (you can conveniently login via Github as well)
- Enroll into the language you want to contribute to or even submit a request for a new language.
- Please keep in mind that we want to stick to the basic languages where possible (e.g.
sr for Serbian).
Please refrain to request regional localizations (like
- In your language section, you can browse all available resources and start translating strings right in your browser.
- You don't have to download anything. Just click "Translate". The downloads are meant for more advanced use cases.
- Make sure to have an eye on the "Suggestions", "History", "Context" and "Glossary" tabs on every entry.
- Mind translation efforts that were already done or suggested.
Basically, »stand on the shoulders of giants« where possible.
- Sometimes source strings change only marginally, but their translations get cleared anyway.
You can easily recover their previous translations by looking at the "Suggestions" tab. Just make sure they really fit the new source text.
- Help us validate translations by reviewing others'.
- Some strings contain placeholders - like for HTML tags or numbers.
You can click on them to add them or use keyboard shortcuts (see the page settings for an overview).
- You can point out issues to the Translation Organizers via the "Comments" tab or just start a discussion.
- Don't forget to save your work!
- Please don't create any Translation Pull Request here on Github.
- We will integrate your contributions from time to time into the code by exporting from Transifex directly. No need to provide any files from your side. ;-)
- For more information about how to use Transifex, see https://docs.transifex.com/
We will add all Transifex translations from time to time to the app.
(Unfortunately, we cannot merge translations via Github directly. Please follow the steps below instead.
Sorry, but this causes some major synchronization issues if not followed. We have to consolidate many contributions by translators and sync them up to the latest state. That is just not possible via Github.)
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
your AdAway team!