JumpStart Live (JSL)
In-person Student Expectations
We expect all participating students to arrive on time to class except for in cases of emergency. If you do arrive late, please respect the other students learning and take a seat in the back putting forth great effort to reduce distracting other students when you arrive.
- All participating students are expected to complete all prep work for each class. This will allow more time for discussion and questions during class. You can find information about the prep work in each day's folder.
- We also expect students to come to class with relevant ideas, and questions related to the class topics.
We expect participating students to be active participants in the learning process. The questions below are designed to help guide you.
- Do you make at least one excellent contribution (e.g., insight or question) to each class without monopolizing discussion?
- Do you give active nonverbal and verbal feedback?
- Do you refer to other students by name and react to their contributions?
In any group there will be those who speak more and those who speak less; this might be because of differences in personality, language fluency, or culture. Some people like to carefully think before they speak and some believe that interaction should be rapid and assertive.
- If you often find yourself dominating class discussions, or answering all of the instructors questions, try limiting yourself to 3 really good responses, to give others a chance to participate
- Be mindful that others have important things to say too, but they may need a bit more time to speak
- Silence is okay, and sometimes needed for other students to feel comfortable speaking
- Some of the text in the Participation section was borrowed from Benjamin Mako Hill's Teaching: Assessment materials