Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Welcome to the flixel wiki! Here you can find tutorials, tips, and even source to full games. If you have written a tutorial on the forums or your blog, please consider taking the time to add it here!
Official ASDocs for the flixel framework.
Stay up to date with flixel changes.
Experiencing a bug, or want to help wipe them out?
Here is where to post about features you would like to see in upcoming flixel versions.
Still having problems? Ask the experienced users.
Adobe provides lots of documentation on ActionScript 3, and sometimes your problems might be related to ActionScript itself. Definitely check-out the “Programming ActionScript 3.0” manual.
Little logos for your website or game title screens or whatever!
A collection of pixel, tilemap, and audio editing software.
Flash Game Dojo
A site community-powered knowledge base for actionscript and game dev in general.
TOURS & INTRODUCTIONS
Articles that explore the most basic fundamentals of the creation of Flash games, and flixel games in particular.
- What is Flixel?
- Create a Flash platform game with Flixel and Adobe Flex
- Getting Started with ActionScript + Flixel
- ActionScript Fundamentals (you can skip the MXMLC part!)
- Flixel 2.0 Tutorial
- How Colors Work in ActionScript
- Fall 2009 Workshop – Part 1 (basic organization + code tour)
- Flixel Organization Overview (condensed from the workshop)
Very basic tutorials that explore the fundamentals of creating a functional flixel game.
- Hello, World! : Flex Builder 3.0, OSX | Flash Develop | Flex SDK/mxmlc (command line compiler)
- Flixel Cheat Sheet 1: The Basics
- Fall 2009 Workshop – Part 2 (changing mode, various design topics)
- Flixel Basic Game Tutorial
- Making a platform game with Flex and Flixel (with moving platforms)
- Using Xcode 3.2 with Flixel 2.+
- Conquer the Universe With AS3 and the Flixel Game Engine: Part 1 (screencast)
- Flixel 2 Tutorial on CreativeApplications.Net
- The Absolute Ultra Beginners Guide on Flixel with Flash Develop
- The Noob Tutorials series by BliipStudio
NOTE: The following tutorials are for slightly older versions of flixel and probably need to be updated when they’re ported:
- Hello, World! (Flash Develop)
- Compiling the ‘mode’ game (Flex Builder)
- Compiling the ‘mode’ game (FlashDevelop)
- Compiling the ‘mode’ game (MXMLC)
- Compiling the ‘mode’ game (MXMLC + make)
More advanced tutorials involving levels, enemies, and other classic game objects.
NOTE: Bored? Port and update a tutorial for the wiki!
- Adding a Jetpack to the demo game
- Modifying FlxBlock to display specific tiles
- Loading a level layout based on an image
- Adding multiple, configurable keys
- Making levels in Mappy
- Adding a local save feature and how to use it
TIP & TRICKS
Miscellaneous snippets of code that are designed to solve one problem or another.
- MochiServices integration example
- What version am I running?
- Performance Tricks
- Hover buttons
- Make a game with multiple languages
- Animated cursor
- Improved, ready-to-use data structures (documentation included in download)
- Porting Guide for v1.5x to v2.0
NOTE: Hosted on the forums.
- Multi-rowed spritesheets (pre version 1.34)
- Multi-rowed tilemap sheets (pre version 1.36)
- AS3 sfxr
- Making slopes
- Avoid having to click on the game to give focus
- Automatic Flixel updates (windows)
- FlxUtils (collision debugging, colored boxes and gradient backgrounds)
- Ropes/Grappling hooks (not full source, but a very good starting point)
- Exact time-based distance calculation
- Fast pixel precise collision detection
- Syntax highlighting for Xcode
- Template document for Xcode
- FLEX SDK Download
- Iso and Hex tiles
- Pixel perfect overlap
- State loading screen
- Dialog class
- Moving TileBlocks
- Loading external images for use with FlxSprites
GAMES ON GITHUB
These are complete, open-source game projects that are available for forking and downloading here on github.
- Hello, World! by Adam Atomic (View code | Play)
- Flx Invaders by Adam Atomic (View code | Play)
- FlxTeroids by Adam Atomic (View code | Play)
- Mode by Adam Atomic (View code | Play)
- FlxCollisions by Adam Atomic (View code | Play)
- FlxBloom by Adam Atomic (View code | Play)
- FlxBlur by Adam Atomic (View code | Play)
- Refuge by noonat (View code | Play)
- Flixel Primer by Pixelate (View code | Tutorial)
- Eden Island by cai (View code | Play)