Code Institute Milestone Project 1 - Author Website
An author site to promote. market and share the fictional works of yours truly! Links provided from book images leading to Amazon retail site where the user can then read more and/or purchase.
Site can be viewed here: https://aidanjreid.github.io/Author-Website/
This website is for readers of science fiction or thrillers, both fans of my esteemed work or those with a cursory interest.
The aim is to generate sufficient interest to warrant them visiting the book on the Amazon retail site and/or sign up to my newsletter.
- Used a sliding image which scrolls on the x-axis to showcase my books. This was achieved entirely through CSS, stitching the book covers together in 1 long image at the suggestion of my mentor.
- The code was inspired by the following Youtube video
- External links in the 'Books', 'Free', and the newsletter mention in the 'Bio' sections respectively, open new browser pages to Amazon book site and external mailing list provider - Mailchimp and Bookfunnel (reader magnet site)
- AWS Cloud9
- Tiny bit of JS just for collapsible navbar
- Compressjpeg.com Used to reduce size of cover images)
- Balsamiq for wireframe
- Canva for stitching of cover image slider
- Font Awesome Used for name and title in upper left of site
Displayed on screen sizes throughout from Galaxy S5 - Large Desktop ensuring responsiveness.
Tested HTML code on code validator to improve and clean code.
Tested each form field inputs to ensure that fields are required and that email is requested.
- 8/8 - wireframe and grid layout created (HTML) Balsamiq wireframe
- 9/8 - mentor discussion of feasibility and troubleshooting before main build
- 9/8 - start creating basic template
- 18/8 - majority of tasks completed, Deploy on Github
- 19/8 - second discussion w/ mentor - troubleshooting
- 20/8 - completed project | Submission
Following instructions as laid down on Github
- Create new repository for Milestone Project One.
- Hit Settings tab on given repository
- Scroll down to section 'Github Pages', select 'Source' and choose 'master' branch.
Book section (creating cards)
Author used some pre-existing content from his other site. Lorem Ipsom text was used for the blog content merely for display purposes.
Images for Blog section
Other images (book covers)
- all images copyright of Aidan J. Reid
A debt of thanks to my mentor at Code Institute, Brian Macharia.
Initial concept of sliding book cover images orginated from J.A. Konrath website.