BrailleTrans for Java 1.0
December 2004. Copyright 2001, 2004 Alasdair King.
This is a free text (Unicode or ANSI) to Braille (American Braille Code) translator.
BrailleTrans comes in the form of a Java package and a set of translation files that allow applications to be built that convert text to Braille. Grade 1 and Grade 2 contractions and international character sets (Unicode) are all supported.
This folder contains all the Java source code for BrailleTrans for Java.
- uk/ac/umist/co/brailletrans - translation library
- uk/ac/umist/co/brailletrans/utils - create translation files
- uk/ac/umist/co/brailletrans/tests - utilities to run translation and test
You can find translation language files in translate.zip (not in this folder).
You will need them to actually do any translation.
Read King-TextBrailleTranslation.pdf for full information on usage.
BrailleTrans is based on the work of Paul Blenkhorn at the University of Manchester. The following publications contain a full description of the algorithm behind BrailleTrans and the complete tables for British English to Braille and vice-versa.
- "A System for Converting Braille into Print", IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol 3, No 2, pp 215 - 221, June 1995.
- "A System for Converting Print into Braille", IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol 5, No 2, pp121 - 129, June 1997.
Original project page