RPi-QEMU-x86-wine SD-card image
Sorry, this project is inactive for now! But there are successor projects inside the Internet.
This Raspberry Pi image enables you to run x86 Linux and Windows applications on a Raspberry Pi 2. The build is based on the information found in the following thread: https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17701&start=25#p84325
You have to download the following files and unpack these with 7zip. The reason for the split archive is that github only allows 2 GB files.
For Raspberry Pi 3 users
mikerr did a image incl. Raspberry Pi 3 support.
You will need a 8 GB SD-card
Unpack the image
Copy the image to a SD-card
# sudo dd bs=4M if=20150924_RPi-QEMU-x86-wine.img /dev/mmcblk
Put the SD-card into your Raspberry Pi
Two user are available
To run x86 Linux and Windows programs just run the "start_x86env_wine-user" script as the "pi" user in a terminal.
# sudo /home/pi/start_x86env_wine-user
Now you are in a Debian wheezy i386 enviroment and you can try to load any x86 program. Inside the chroot enviroment you are logged in as the user "wine-user".
To run Windows programs just run "wine". Notepad example:
# wine ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/notepad.exe
If you would like to use programs that need super user access like "apt-get" run the script "/home/pi/start_x86env_root" instead of "start_x86env_wine-user":
# sudo /home/pi/start_x86env_root
- Based on 2015-05-05-raspbian-wheezy.img
- Kernel 4.1.8 with 3G/1G user/kernel memory split: https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=1905
- QEMU 1.4.0 with NPTL patch: https://github.com/AlbrechtL/qemu
- Wine 1.5.26: http://www.playonlinux.com/wine/binaries/linux-x86/PlayOnLinux-wine-1.5.26-linux-x86.pol
- Installed Debian Wheezy i386 repository in a chroot enviroment "/home/pi/chroot-wheezy-i386".
- Binfmt: To wrap the call to QEMU
Don't expect a super fast PC! The x86 emulation is done by QEMU in software. Some people said it is as fast as a 300 MHz Pentium PC. But benchmarks are welcome!
Please read the following threads: