A many-core capable flyweight in situ visualization and analysis infrastructure for multi-physics HPC simulations.
Learn how to use Ascent with Docker + Jupyter
If you have Docker, an easy way to learn about Ascent is to run our prebuilt Docker container:
docker run -p 8888:8888 -t -i alpinedav/ascent-jupyter
Then open http://localhost:8888 in your browser to connect to the Jupyter Server in the container.
The password for the Jupyter server is:
learn. From here, you can run Ascent's Python Tutorial Notebook examples. For more details see our :doc:`Ascent Tutorial <Tutorial>`.
Ascent is an easy-to-use flyweight in situ visualization and analysis library for HPC simulations:
- Supports: Making Pictures, Transforming Data, and Capturing Data for use outside of Ascent
- Young effort, yet already includes most common visualization operations
- Provides a simple infrastructure to integrate custom analysis
- Provides C++, C, Python, and Fortran APIs
Ascent's flyweight design targets next-generation HPC platforms:
- Provides efficient distributed-memory (MPI) and many-core (CUDA or OpenMP) execution
- Demonstrated scaling: In situ filtering and ray tracing across 16,384 GPUs on LLNL's Sierra Cluster
- Has lower memory requirements than current tools
- Requires less dependencies than current tools (ex: no OpenGL)
Ascent focuses on ease of use and reducing integration burden for simulation code teams:
- Actions are passed to Ascent via YAML files
- Replay capability helps prototype and test actions
- It does not require GUI or system-graphics libraries
- It includes integration examples that demonstrate how to use Ascent inside existing HPC-simulation proxy applications
To get started building and using Ascent, see the :doc:`Quick Start Guide <QuickStart>` and the :doc:`Ascent Tutorial <Tutorial>`. For more details about building Ascent see the :doc:`Building documentation <BuildingAscent>`.
Ascent Project Resources
Website and Online Documentation
Github Source Repo
.. toctree:: :maxdepth: 1 :hidden: QuickStart
.. toctree:: :caption: Tutorial :maxdepth: 1 :hidden: Tutorial Tutorial_Setup Tutorial_Intro Tutorial_CloverLeaf_Demos
.. toctree:: :caption: User Documentation :maxdepth: 1 :hidden: Overview ExampleIntegrations BuildingAscent AscentAPI Actions/index Utilities GPU_notes
.. toctree:: :caption: Developer Documentation :maxdepth: 1 :hidden: developer_docs/Contributing developer_docs/Overview developer_docs/BuildEnvironment developer_docs/VTKh_Filter developer_docs/Flow_Filter developer_docs/CI
.. toctree:: :caption: Resources :maxdepth: 1 :hidden: Releases Publications Licenses