This is the repo for the two-day short course, "Introduction to R & RStudio" given at
rstudio::conf(2018) January 31 and February 1, 2018.
About the materials
Description: This is a two-day hands on workshop designed for people who are brand new to R & RStudio and who learn best in person. You will learn the basics of R and data science, and practice using the RStudio IDE (integrated development environment) and R Notebooks. We will have a team of TAs on hand to show you the ropes, and help you out when you get stuck.
These materials were based on Introduction to R (2014), and https://github.com/rstudio/master-the-tidyverse (2017). They are intended to be appropriate for people who have never used R before.
To download the materials, click on "Clone or download" and select "Download ZIP"
The materials are also available as two separate RStudio Cloud projects:
Both day1 and day2 include folders of code, slides, cheatsheets, and (on day 2) data. Files should be consistently named so you can see the correspondence. For example, 02-Visualization.pdf corresponds with 02-Visualization.Rmd and 02-Visualization-Solutions.Rmd
- 01-Introduction (what is R, what is RStudio)
- 02-Visualization (visualizing data using
- 03-DataTypes (vectors, matrices, data frames, vector types, coercion)
- 04-Syntax (selecting rows and columns using base R and
- 06-Import (importing data using base R and
- 07-BestPractices (cleaning up your workspace, ideas for organization, things to read)
- 08-Transform (more
dplyr, making many-to-few and many-to-many transformations, joining data)
- 09-Tidy (skipped in the workshop, covers tidying data using
- 10-Model (linear modeling,
broom, logistic regression)
- 11-GoingForward (installing R and RStudio locally, learning more and getting help)
Intro to R & RStudio by Amelia McNamara is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Based on Introduction to R (2014), and https://github.com/rstudio/master-the-tidyverse (2017).