Alternatives to Online Services
Personal Cloud Platforms
arkOS- Development Ceased. (More Info..) Crowd-funded. Open Source.
- Sandstorm is an open source platform for personal servers.
- Sandstorm lets you run your own server and install apps like EtherCalc, GitLab, Wekan, Wave, and more as easily as you'd install apps on your phone.
- Uses a model like Docker for installing apps.
- Debian-based distro aiming to make self-hosting accessible to everyone.
Mail server (with Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, etc.).
- SmarterMail (only for Windows)
- MailInABox Source Code
- Works on Ubuntu but not Windows.
Web Mail UI
- Crowd-funded project. Open source. Looks promising. Will be supported on arkOS.
- Webmail client with Gmail-like conversations.
- Prosody IM XMPP Chat Server
- Kaiwa browser-based, HTML5-only chat client
- Rocket Chat Alternative to Slack
- Let's Chat Self-hosted chat app for small teams
- Mattermost is an open source, on-prem Slack-alternative
- Zulip powerful open source group chat runs on your own server
- This wiki should be used for collecting knowledage.
- Must have WYSIWYG editing.
- Should be open source.
- Realms Wiki
- Git based wiki written in Python Inspired by Gollum, Ghost, and Dillinger. Basic authentication and registration included.
- Source Code
- Alternative to OneNote, Evernote, etc.
- Desktop-based, no phone apps.
- Cross-platform, open source.
- Good example is Workflowy but it's not open source and can't be self-hosted.
MagPie Git-backed Evernote replacement.
- No longer under active development. More info.
Bookie Python based delicious.com replacement Demo
- No longer active. Demo website is down.
- personal, minimalist, super-fast, no-database delicious clone
Browser-based Document Editing
- Alternatives to Google Docs and Office Online
- Reveal.js for Presentations
- hyhyhy for presentations. Source code. Uses Ruby, produces static pages.
- Hastebin is an open source pastebin written in node.js
- Remark is a simple, in-browser, markdown-driven slideshow tool. It can be hosted on GitHub gists via GistDeck (Source Code)
- Alternatives to Instapaper, Readibility, and Pocket.
- Goose is an Article Fetching service. It's open source.
- ~~Filo ~~
Simple but cute Instapaper clone. Written in Rails. It's open source.
- No longer active. Demo site is down.
- This is alternative to RTM (Remember The Milk)
- Doesn't have mobile apps.
- Doesn't look very good.
- Open-source kanban board that let you organize things in cards, and cards in lists.
- Deployable to Sandstorm and Docker.
- Full list of GTD software
- Run your own Dropbox server
- Has apps built on top of it, including Calendar and Contacts.
- Has sync capabilities.
- Has lots of apps.
- Personal Cloud you can host, customize and fully control
- Sync your contacts, calendars and files between your devices and your personal server
- Source Code
- Runs on Linux, available for VirtualBox, Docker and DigitalOcean. Installations.
- Looks really good. Built using Node.js
- Built custom apps
- Already existing custom apps
- Camlistore is a different kind of storage.
- Camlistore is a set of open source formats, protocols, and software for modeling, storing, searching, sharing and synchronizing data in the post-PC era. Data may be files or objects, tweets or 5TB videos, and you can access it via a phone, browser or FUSE filesystem.
- Camlistore (Content-Addressable Multi-Layer Indexed Storage) is under active development.
- OpenMediaVault is the next generation network attached storage (NAS) solution based on Debian Linux. It contains services like SSH, (S)FTP, SMB/CIFS, DAAP media server, RSync, BitTorrent client and many more. Thanks to the modular design of the framework it can be enhanced via plugins.
- Very similar to Synology software
Remote Desktop Service
- Five Best Remote Desktop Tools
- 5 of the Best Free and Open Source Remote Desktop Software for Linux.
- Trovebox (formally OpenPhoto)
- Lychee - Photo Management Server
Mind Mapping Software
Server Management Dashboard
Link shortening service
ThinkUp to collect Tweets and Facebook data.No longer available.
- Diaspora Social Network
- Twitter-like Social Media Network
- Source Code
- Looks good, based on XMPP, written in PHP
Password Manager service
- Move Firefox Sync from Mozilla's servers to my own VPS.
- Google Wave (Now, Apache Wave)
- Alternative to Pushbullet
Source Code Management
- A self-hosted Git service written in Go
- Source code
- Alternative to GitHub.
- Runs on Linux
- Sopel (formally Willie) is a simple, lightweight, open source, easy-to-use IRC utility bot, written in Python. It can leave notes for people, give you reminders, check RSS feeds.
- PRISM Break
- List of alternatives to online services on multiple platforms.
- List of alternatives to online services.
- How to easily share files between tablet and computer.
- How to access shared folder on home computers from tablet
Linux VPS Hosting
Windows VPS Hosting
Webmin - Free Control Panel for Linux
Virtualmin - For managing the domains and users
Search for hosting offers on forums like: