The SST Guide is a comprehensive open source tutorial for building and deploying full-stack apps using Serverless and React on AWS.
We are going to create a note taking app from scratch using React.js, AWS Lambda, API Gateway, DynamoDB, and Cognito.
It is a single-page React app powered by a serverless CRUD API. We also cover how add user authentication and handle file uploads.
The entire guide is hosted on GitHub and we use Discourse for our comments. With the help of the community we add more detail to the guide and keep it up to date.
- Provide a free comprehensive resource
- Add more content to build on core concepts
- Keep the content accurate and up to date
- Help people resolve their issues
- If you are running into issues with a specific chapter, post in the comments for that chapter.
- Open a new issue if you've found a bug
- Or if you have a suggestion create a new topic in our forums
- If you've found a typo, edit the chapter and submit a pull request.
Source for the Demo App
We also have an alternative Serverless Framework version: backend serverless API & frontend React app.
Thank you for your considering to contribute. Read more about how you can contribute to SST.
SST is built using Jekyll. Follow these steps to install Jekyll.
To install, run the following in the root of the project.
$ bundle install
And to view locally.
$ bundle exec jekyll serve
You can now view the guide locally by visiting
You can also turn on live reloading and incremental builds while editing.
$ bundle exec jekyll serve --incremental --livereload
Generating the eBook
We use Pandoc to create the eBook. You can generate it locally by following these steps.
$ cd ~/Sites/ServerlessStackCom/etc/ebook $ make start
This'll start a Docker instance. Inside the Docker run:
$ make pdf $ make epub
The above are run automatically through Github Actions in this repo:
- When a new commit is pushed to master
- And when a new tag is pushed, the generated eBook is uploaded to S3
Thanks to these folks for their contributions to the content of SST.
- Peter Eman Paver Abastillas: Social login chapters
- Bernardo Bugmann: Translating chapters to Portuguese
- Sebastian Gutierrez: Translating chapters to Spanish and adding copy button for code snippets
- Vincent Oliveira: Translating chapters to French
- Leonardo Gonzalez: Translating chapters to Portuguese
- Vieko Franetovic: Translating chapters to Spanish
- Christian Kaindl: Translating chapters to German
- Jae Chul Kim: Translating chapters to Korean
- Ben Force: Extra credit chapters
- Eze Sunday: Extra credit chapters
- Maniteja Pratha: Vue.js example
This repo is maintained by SST.