A Syslog transport for winston using posix.
$ npm install winston $ npm install winston-posix-syslog
The winston-syslog transport is amazing, but it only capable of communicating with syslog using udp or tcp. I needed something in my environment that uses the C bindings.
var winston = require('winston'); var PosixSyslog = require('winston-posix-syslog').PosixSyslog; winston.add(PosixSyslog, options); winston.log('info', 'I AM the one who knocks.');
The PosixSyslog transport takes the following options:
- identity: The name of the application (Default:
- facility: Syslog facility to use (Default:
- cons: Write directly to system console if there is an error while sending to system logger (Default:
- ndelay: Open the connection immediately (Default:
- pid: Include PID with each message (Default:
- nowait: Don't wait for child processes that may have been created while logging the message (Default:
- odelay: Opening of the connection is delayed until syslog() is called (Default:
Because syslog only allows a subset of the levels available in winston, levels that do not match will be ignored. Therefore, in order to use
winston-posix-syslog effectively, you should indicate to winston that you want to use the syslog levels:
var winston = require('winston'); winston.setLevels(winston.config.syslog.levels);
PosixSyslog transport will only log to the level that are available in the syslog protocol. These are (in increasing order of severity):