Arelle is a project to provide an easy to use open source facility for XBRL.
The intent began to meet needs that are not commercially viable, such as to support under-development extension modules and test suite facilities, in a compact framework, and to support academic training and projects.
- Support for XBRL versioning. Validation tool for versioning reports and a production tool to generate the basics of a versioning report that can be inferred by diffing two DTSes.
- Edgar and Global Filer Manual validation
- Base Specification, Dimensions, Generic linkbase validation
- Formula validation including support for extension modules
- Instance creation is supported using forms defined by the table linkbase (Eurofiling verison).
- RSS Watch facility
- Users can explore the functionality and features from an interactive GUI, command line interface, or web services, and can develop their own controller interfaces as needed.
- The Web Service API allows XBRL integration with applications, such as those in Excel, Java or Oracle.
- QuickBooks is supported by XBRL-GL.
Arelle fully integrates test cases with the object models for XBRL instances and DTSes.
This allows continual verification of tool performance as it is extended and adapted by its users.