This sample demostrated how to create a window family using Design Automation for Revit API V3.
Main Parts of The Work
Migrate the existing Revit WindowWizard Plugin to be used within AppBundle of Design Automation for Revit. Please check PlugIn
Create your App, upload the AppBundle, define your Activity and test the workitem with the Postman collection under Postman Collection
Create the Web App to call the workitem.
Web App Setup
- Forge Account: Learn how to create a Forge Account, activate subscription and create an app at this tutorial.
- Visual Code: Visual Code (Windows or MacOS)
- ngrok: Routing tool, download here
- Revit 2019: required to compile changes into the plugin
- Window family template: A family template that is required while creating window family, you can use this sample template
For using this sample, you need an Autodesk developer credentials. Visit the Forge Developer Portal, sign up for an account, then create an app. For this new app, use http://localhost:3000/api/forge/callback/oauth as Callback URL, although is not used on 2-legged flow. Finally take note of the Client ID and Client Secret.
Install NodeJS, version 8 or newer.
Clone this project or download it (this
nodejs branch only). It's recommended to install GitHub desktop. To clone it via command line, use the following (Terminal on MacOSX/Linux, Git Shell on Windows):
git clone -b nodejs https://github.com/Autodesk-Forge/design.automation-nodejs-revit.window.family.create
To run it, install the required packages, set the enviroment variables with your client ID & secret and finally start it. Via command line, navigate to the folder where this repository was cloned and use the following:
Mac OSX/Linux (Terminal)
npm install export FORGE_CLIENT_ID=<<YOUR CLIENT ID FROM DEVELOPER PORTAL>> export FORGE_CLIENT_SECRET=<<YOUR CLIENT SECRET>> export FORGE_CALLBACK_URL=<<YOUR CALLBACK URL>> export FORGE_WEBHOOK_URL=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT CALLBACK URL>> export REVIT_IO_NICK_NAME=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT NICK NAME>> export REVIT_IO_APP_NAME=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT APP NAME>> export REVIT_IO_ACTIVITY_NAME=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT ACTIVITY NAME>> npm start
Windows (use Node.js command line from Start menu)
npm install set FORGE_CLIENT_ID=<<YOUR CLIENT ID FROM DEVELOPER PORTAL>> set FORGE_CLIENT_SECRET=<<YOUR CLIENT SECRET>> set FORGE_CALLBACK_URL=<<YOUR CALLBACK URL>> set FORGE_WEBHOOK_URL=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT CALLBACK URL>> set REVIT_IO_NICK_NAME=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT NICK NAME>> set REVIT_IO_APP_NAME=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT APP NAME>> set REVIT_IO_ACTIVITY_NAME=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT ACTIVITY NAME>> npm start
ngrok http 3000 to create a tunnel to your local machine, then copy the address into the
FORGE_WEBHOOK_URL environment variable. Please check WebHooks for details.
Start the app
Open the browser: http://localhost:3000, the way to create a window family should be straightforwd, just follow the steps:
- Select window style, either
- Add a couple of family types, and change the parameters accordingly, set the material for
Sash, and change the family file name if necessary
- Select a folder in your BIM360 project, the new created family file will be saved there
- Click the Create button, and see the result in BIM360
Main Backend API used
File upgrade API based on Design Automation API at routes/da4revit.js
- POST /api/forge/da4revit/v1/families
- GET /api/forge/da4revit/v1/families/:family_workitem_id
- DELETE /api/forge/da4revit/v1/families/:family_workitem_id
- POST /api/forge/callback/designautomation
File/Folder operation API based on Data Management API at routes/datamanagement.js
- POST /api/forge/datamanagement/v1/folder
- DELETE /api/forge//datamanagement/v1/folder/:folder_url
- GET /api/forge/datamanagement/v1
User information API at routes/user.js
- GET /api/forge/user/v1/profile
OAuth information API at routes/oauth.js
- GET /api/forge/oauth/v1/url
- GET /api/forge/oauth/v1/signout
- GET /api/forge/oauth/v1/token
- GET /api/forge/oauth/v1/clientid
- GET /api/forge/callback/oauth
Tips & Tricks
- The Window family template which is used to create the family should be uploaded first.
After installing Github desktop for Windows, on the Git Shell, if you see a error setting certificate verify locations error, use the following:
git config --global http.sslverify "false"
Zhong Wu, Forge Partner Development