A library of shareable, reusable patterns for WordPress themes. Components allows you to generate different types of starter themes for taking your themes where you want them to go, faster.
You'll notice this repository can't be activated and run as a WordPress theme. It's just the pieces for a theme. The best way to use it on your next project is to not download it directly from Github, but head over to the Components site, fill out the form and generate the theme of your choice. The generator does all the hard work so you can get to theming!
Developing for Components
If you want to start contributing to Components, we're happy to have you! Keep in mind, Components has two major repositories, plus a special development plugin that helps you contribute to the project:
- Components: That's this one. It contains all the components or pieces that make up the themes.
- Components site: This contains the WordPress theme that runs the site for Components, and the generator that performs all the magic starter-theme generation.
- Components Local Development: A plugin that enables testing a local copy of Components on a local copy of http://components.underscores.me/.
To start developing, follow these steps:
- Place a local copy of Components in the root of your WordPress install. It should be named
- Upload the
theme-components-local-devdirectory to the
- Make sure you have the Components site theme active, and the latest master branch running.
- Activate the plugin through the
Pluginsmenu in WordPress.
From there, you can make changes to the local copy of Components in the root of your WordPress install, and the themes you create from your local WordPress install will reflect any changes you've made. You can test and commit code to the project. Just don’t forget to check out our CONTRIBUTING doc – it includes a few details that will make the process a lot smoother.
We support the latest two versions of all major browsers, except Internet Explorer, where we currently support 11 and Edge. (see Browse Happy for current latest versions).
If you have any problems using Components, please see the most common issues here.
License: GNU General Public License v2 or later License URI: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html