Here I want to answer the most common questions Fantasy Map Generator users may have. Please feel free to raise a new issue in order to request additional answers.
I have issues with Generator, what should I do?
First, please try to reproduce the issue on your own. If it's reproducible, please log an issue. A lot of issues are caused by browsers, please also try to use incognito mode and/or another browser. I recommend Chrome as the fastest browser in terms of svg rendering.
The map performance is poor, how can I improve it?
The performance mainly depends on number of visible elements and visible map area. The optimization strategies are:
- Toggle off unnecessary layers. Especially take care of the Relief Icons layer – it’s the most resource-demanding one.
- If you have a wide screen, open the Generator in a separate browser window, make it much smaller (about 900 x 560 pixels) and re-generate the map. Then zoom in to see the map in detail. It will reduce the rending area and drastically improve the performance.
- Generate maps with Points number = 10K. Points (cells) number highly affects performance.
- Toggle off map and element filters.
- Close all irrelevant browser tabs and applications.
- Use the top-edge browser (updated Chrome of Firefox).
Who owns the maps created?
You. The Generator is licensed under MIT license and derivative works such as maps are free of charge. You can sell them or make them available for free.
My saved map is not working properly. What should I do?
If there is no version conflict, please raise a defect. If your map is obsolete and it's clearly stated on load, you may either use an appropriate version of the Generator or re-create a map in a current version. There is no way to update it. The tool is under development and version conflicts are inevitable.
Can I export a created map?
Sure, there are a number of available options:
- Save as .map: file can be lately loaded to Generator
- Save as .svg: save a full map as a scalable vector image, you can open the file in browser or edit it using a vector graphics editor
- Save as .png: save the currently displayed map fragment as a raster image. You can edit the file in any raster graphics editor
- Save as .json: save the map data to be used in GIS software
- Save to storage: save map data to browser storage, then it can be loaded back. That's an acceptable, but not so good as saving in .map format due to the fact browser storage can be accidentally cleared.
How can I open a saved .map file?
Open the generator, click on Load and select a .map file. Or just drag and drop .map file to the Generator window. No desktop application is required, .map is an internal Fantasy Map Generator file format.
Can I manually edit a .map file?
You can do it using any text editor. But please note that without clear understanding you may break the formatting and file won't be loadable anymore. The common error is that most text editor automatically split embedded svg into separate lines.
How to launch Generator offline?
Generator is a web-based tool, but can be run offline if previously downloaded. To download the tool go to Releases, select the latest available version and click on Source code (zip). Then unzip the downloaded archive and open the index.html file in browser. I recommend to use Google Chrome or Firefox. Please note that some functions like additional Fonts are not available offline. You can also download a desktop application (see the answer below).
Is there a desktop version?
Modern technologies allow to turn any web-application into a desktop application using Electron. The Generator UI is not designed for a desktop, so there can be some minor issues. To get a desktop application download an archive for your architecture, unzip and run the executable file.
Which browsers are supported?
The Generator should work in any modern browser, but actually it is developed using the latest version of the Google Chrome. I also try to support the latest Mozilla Firefox version. Edge should also work. Outdated browsers like Internet Explorer or Opera are not supported.
Can I use the Generator on mobiles?
You can, but I doubt you will enjoy it. The Generator GUI is not suitable for mobiles and performance is not good enough. So generally I have to say that mobile devices are not supported.
What about non-English localization?
Localization is not planned, there is not too much text and I almost sure everyone can use the Generator without English proficiency. But you can localize the Generator on your own, I support this initiative.
What does Azgaar mean?
It's my name, it has no meaning. It can be spelled Azgaar, Azgar or Azgaar, depending on a platform. The name of the tool is Azgaar's Fantasy Map generator, pointing to me as a main developer.
You've mentioned a Medieval Dynasty simulator. What is it?
It's my meta-project. A CK2-style genealogical game focused on genetics. Generally a wedding/dynasty breeding simulator (see the screenshot). It's on pre-alpha and currently is on hold, so no Demo is available.
How can I help to improve the Generator?
Just use it, log defects and suggest enhancements (please use the issues page for both cases). Share the Generator link within your community, post on FB, Twitter etc.
We also need a good video-tutorial, please contact me if you have video-blog and want to help.
A professional help from coders / UI designers is also highly appreciated. It would be also great to get a correction list from a native speaker (you may start a correction right from this page).
Do you accept donations?
Yes, you can support the project on Patreon. If you don't want to pay monthly, you are able to decline the donation at any moment in time. Other donation platforms are not supported.
Is there a place where I can discuss the Generator, share created maps and so on?
How can I contact you directly?
Please PM me on Discord or send me an email