Azure Sql Database Managed Instance (SQL MI) with JumpBox Creation inside New Virtual Network
This template allows you to create a Azure SQL Database Managed Instances inside a new virtual network with Virtual Machine that comes with the latest version of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) preinstalled.
Tags: Azure, SqlDb, Managed Instance, SSMS
Solution overview and deployed resources
This deployment will create an Azure Virtual Network with two subnets ManagedInstance and Management. Managed Instance will be deployed in ManagedInstance subnet. Virtual machine with the latest version of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) will be deployed in Management subnet.
You can click the "Deploy to Azure" button at the beginning of this document or follow the instructions for command line deployment using the scripts in the root of this repo, and populate following parameters:
- Name of the Managed Instance that will be create including Managed Instance admin name and password
- Name of the Azure Virtual Network that will be created and configured, including the address range that will be associated to this VNet. Default address range is 10.0.0.0/16 but you could change it to fit your needs.
- Name of the subnet where Managed Instance will be created. The name will be ManagedInstance, if you don't want to change it. Default address range is 10.0.0.0/24 but you could change it to fit your needs.
- Name of the subnet where VM with SSMS will be created. The name will be Management, if you don't want to change it. Default address range is 10.0.1.0/24 but you could change it to fit your needs.
- Sku name that combines service tear and hardware generation, number of virtual cores and storage size in GB. The table below shows supported combinations.
- License type that could be BasePrice if you are eligable for Azure Hybrid Use Benefit for SQL Server or LicenseIncluded otherwise
|Tier||General Purpose||General Purpose||Business Critical||Busines Critical|
|Hardware||Gen 4||Gen 5||Gen 4||Gen 5|
|Min storage size||32||32||32||32|
|Max storage size||8192||8192||1024||1024 GB for 8, 16 vCores
2048 GB for 24 vCores
4096 GB for 32, 40, 64, 80 vCores
During the public preview deployment might take up to 6h. This is because virtual cluster that hosts the instances needs some time to deploy. Each subsequent instance creation in the same virtual cluster takes just about a few minutes.
After the last Managed Instance is deprovisioned, cluster stays a live for up to 24h. This is to avoid waiting for a new cluster to be provisioned in case that customer just wants to recreate the instance. During that period of time Resource Group and virtual network could not be deleted. This is a known issue and Managed Instance team is working on resolving it.