Provides a common set of packages and configurations for all BCS systems.
- apt - update the system to get latest list of packages
- bcs_locale - setting the system to UK
- bcs_network - configuring hostname and network settings
- chef-client - run the chef recipe regularly
- git package - dealing with code repositories
- nano - basic editor
- ntp - maintaining accurate time on a server
- timezone_lwrp - installing latest tzdata
- apt::unattended-upgrades - Keeps system with latest security patches and general updates
- bcs_ruby - brightbox ruby allows the system an up to date Ruby without complications of RVM or RBenv
- bcs_user - sets up user and ssh access
- ntp - synchronizing with time servers
- openssh - configuring ssh
Most commonly included into other cookbooks and add a dependency in the metadata.
Include in a runlist
chef.run_list = [ "recipe[bcs_common_system::default]" ]
||Ruby version to install|
||Setting the timezone|
Configure a node with a the base system. Standard Ruby, locality, packages and Timezone.
Verification by either ssh to vagrant or running commands against vagrant guest.
vagrant ssh or vagrant ssh -c 'command'
- Nano seems to be installed anyway, I have left it is an example of using dpkg verify.
|nano||dpkg -s nano||Package: nano||Package: nano|
|ntp||service ntp status||unrecognized service||NTP server is running|
|Ruby||ruby -v||ruby 1.8.7||ruby 2.1.1p76|
|Timezone||date||... UTC 2014||... GMT 2014|
When timezones are updated certain systems should be told about updating for example logging, NGINX. If required then refer to thechef command notifies