Materials for the 2015 BITSS Annual Meeting Dec 10-11, 2015, held in Berkeley, CA.
Welcome! This repository contains the materials for the optional hands-on training Thursday morning before the main conference. We we will be focusing on software tools for a reproducible workflow, specifically dynamic documents in both R and Stata. (Dynamic documents are ones that contain code, analysis, and output all in one place, for better organization and reproducibility.)
There are three important folders:
- slides--contains a set of intro slides written in beamer (LaTeX).
- Rmarkdown-Stata--contains files for writing a simple dynamic document using R Markdown in R Studio with knitr. Also contains files to run a two-step somewhat-dynamic document version of things using Stata and LaTeX separately. (This folder has its own Readme.)
- haghish--contains files from Haghish with a demo of a native-Stata dynamic document (Ketchup)
In order to work with these files, you're going to need to have several software programs installed. We will be running a demo of them, but it will likely be a lot more useful if you try and follow along on your own.
- LaTeX (install--this is a pretty big download. Please don't leave this until the day of.)
- OSF (no install, just make an account)
- GitHub.com (make an account)
- Git (install--this actually links to GitHub Desktop, which includes Git)
- R (install)
- R Studio (install)
- Pandoc (install)
- Stata (sorry, we can't help you get a copy of this.)
Slides from all other presenters (Leamer-Rosenthal, SSMART, research papers, etc.) can be found on the linked OSF project page.