Competitor Mod Revised
The feel of the mod is very similar to the original one, however from the original version only the UI, some data structures and name generation have stayed almost completely the same. Other than that pretty much all actions and features that were in the original mod have been reworked and extended with new functionality and features. There are features from the original mod that aren't implemented in this one just yet, like any real way of interaction with the competitors in the form of publishing deals, sabotaging, etc. I'm planning on adding these at a later stage.
The focus right now is the behaviour of the agents themselves and trying to have them behave in a rational and plausible way, without constraining their actions too much. It is still very much a work in progress and any suggestions and feedback is very much appreciated! Issues can either be reported here, or on the official Greenheart Games Forum page.
Like any other mod, download the .zip file and place the contents in the
mods folder of the game directory (
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Game Dev Tycoo\ by default).
- Multiple competitors, each competitor has the following actions available:
- Create a game
- Competitors will try to rationally pick a topic, genre and platform based on its knowledge.
- Simulate development costs based on the available tech of the player.
- License new platforms when applicable
- Research a new topic
- Generate a game report
- Create a game
- Basic notification when a competitor releases a new game or a game goes off the market
- Multiple games with the same topic affect each other, applies to both the player and AI competitors
An element of randomness should ensure that not every competitor is always doing the same action, e.g. start the same action at the same time, use the same platforms, etc. but should not cause the competitors to go bankrupt very often.
The final goal is to give the competitors access to most of the features a player has access to as well. Of course not everything will be possible (like the sliders during game creation), but other noticeable actions or features available to the player would be something I'd like to add to the competitors as well. Below is a list of features and ideas I'd like check out and see how feasible it is to implement them. Keep in mind that
- Interactions between the player and competitors, these could be:
- Buying competitors at later stages of the game.
- Spying on competitors to gain extra knowledge and benefits.
- Providing publishing deals other competitors can apply for.
- License, buy or sell game engines.
- Interactive (random) events. All of these ideas might apply to both the player and competitor.
- More expansive actions for the competitors:
- Forms of marketing (normal forms of marketing, events in the game like G3).
- Create engines.
- Customizability, like selecting the number of competitors on the market
As I said before, suggestions, feedback and discussions are very much appreciated. However remember that this is a project I'm doing for fun and while I have currently the time to work a lot on the mod, this might change as the work load from my study increases.
Other than that, I hope you will enjoy the mod and thank you for reading! =D