The clean and shiny search bar that does what UISearchBar does only with dirty hacks. This view is designed to tackle the customization limits of UISearchBar. The difference here is that this class does not inherit UISearchBar but composes a new UIView object by using a UITextField that is much easier to use. These are the limits of the UISearchBar:
- no clean way to left align the placeholder
- the cancel button is hard to taylor to your needs
- generally the appearance is not customizable (e.g. the font of the text)
- there are some strange behaviours when you set a custom background image
Since I use a UITextField these restrictions do not apply.
SHSearchBar is compatible with
iOS 9 or higher and builds with
Swift 4 syntax. It is available through CocoaPods.
To install it, simply add the following line to your Podfile:
Carthage is a decentralized dependency manager that builds your dependencies and provides you with binary frameworks. To integrate SHSearchBar into your Xcode project using Carthage, specify it in your Cartfile:
The repo includes an example project. It shows shows different use cases of
the searchbar. To run it, just type
pod try SHSearchBar in your console and
it will be cloned and opened for you. The following images show some of these
- If you found a bug, please open an issue.
- If you have a feature request, please open an issue.
- If you want to contribute, please submit a pull request.
SHSearchBar is available under the MIT license. See the LICENSE file for more info.