A C implementation of Tiny Basic, with a focus on support for Arduino. It was originally written by Gordon Brandly in the form of "68000 Tiny Basic", and then ported to C by Michael Field as "Arduino Basic", though still called "Tiny Basic" in the source files.
TinyBasic Plus is an extension and modification upon the original "Tiny Basic" by adding support for a few more devices, configurable at build time. It is designed for use on the Arduino, although builds will soon be easily possible for other platforms through command line makefiles.
Features added include support for fileio (SD Library), autorunning a program from the SD card, smaller footprint (PROGMEM), support for pin data IO, and future support for PS2 input devices and LCD output devices.
Full list of supported statements and functions
- BYE - exits Basic, soft reboot on Arduino
- CHAIN filename.bas - equivalent of: new, load filename.bas, run
- END - stops execution from the program, also "STOP"
- FILES - lists the files on the SD card
- LOAD filename.bas - loads a file from the SD card
- MEM - displays memory usage statistics
- NEW - clears the current program
- RUN - executes the current program
- SAVE filename.bas - saves the current program to the SD card, overwriting
- PEEK( address ) - set a value in memory
- POKE - get a value in memory
- PRINT expression - print out the expression, also "?"
- REM stuff - remark/comment, also "'"
- A=V, LET A=V - assign value to a variable
- +, -, *, / - Math
- <,<=,=,<>,!=,>=,> - Comparisons
- ABS( expression ) - returns the absolute value of the expression
- RSEED( v ) - sets the random seed to v
- RND( m ) - returns a random number from 0 to m
- IF expression statement - perform statement if expression is true
- FOR variable = start TO end - start for block
- FOR variable = start TO end STEP value - start for block with step
- NEXT - end of for block
- GOTO linenumber - continue execution at this line number
- GOSUB linenumber - call a subroutine at this line number
- RETURN - return from a subroutine
- DELAY value - wait (in milliseconds)
- PINMODE pin,mode - set pin as input or output (INPUT,IN,I,1,OUTPUT,OUT,O,0)
- DWRITE pin,value - set pin with a value (HIGH,HI,LOW,LO)
- AWRITE pin,value - set pin with analog value (pwm) 0..255
- DREAD( pin ) - get the value of the pin
- AREAD( analogPin ) - get the value of the analog pin
- Arduino - ATMega 168 (~300 bytes available)
- Arduino - ATMega 368 (~1300 bytes available)
- SD cards (via SD Library, for FILES, LOAD, SAVE commands, uses 9k of rom)
- Serial IO - command console
- PS2 Keyboard for standalone use
- LCD Panel for standalone use
- Graphics LCD support
Known Quirks and Limitations
- If LOAD or SAVE are called, FILES fails subsequent listings
- SD cards are not hot-swappable. A reset is required between swaps.
Authors and Contributors
- Tiny Basic 68k - Gordon Brandly Project Page
- Arduino Basic / Tiny Basic C - Michael Field Project Page
Jurg Wullschleger - Fix for unary operations and whitespace in expressions
Copyright (c) 2012
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.