🛠 Gordian Products & Technologies
(Previously known as Bitcoin Standup and FullyNoded-2)
The Gordian system is a suite of powerful open-source tools that offers a self-sovereign solution for Bitcoin by using Tor and QuickConnect technology to link a protected GordianServer with a mobile GordianWallet so that you access full-node capabilities from a mobile device. (It's meant to cut through a traditionally knotty problem in Bitcoin development.)
- GordianWallet is a mobile wallet special-built as part of the the Gordian system. It was created to support self-sovereign interactions while providing protected communications, and to utilize the newest cutting-edge Bitcoin technology, such as PSBTs and multi-sig addresses, which can multiply the protection of your Bitcoin funds.
- GordianServer is an app that uses Bitcoin Standup technology to help users to install a Bitcoin-Core full-node on a fresh computer or VPS and to add important privacy tools like onion services. GordianServer will harden and secure your OS to current best practices and will add sufficient system tools to support basic Bitcoin development. It will also eventually support optional Bitcoin-related tools like Electrum Personal Server, C-Lightning, Esplora, and BTCPay Server, as well as emerging technologies like Bitcoin-based Decentralized Identifiers. GordianServer is currently available for MacOS, with more limited functionality provided for Linux machines by Bitcoin Standup.
- QuickConnect is an API that generates a QR code (and/or special URI) to link your GordianServer to other devices, such as a mobile phone using GordianWallet on iOS, a remote desktop, or the Fully Noded app on iOS.
- GordianSigner is our first companion app. It allows single-signature or multi-sig PSBTs to be signed by the entry of the xprv, mnemonic words, or QR-UR, and then passes back an updated PSBT for use at the next stage of transaction creation. It's available for Android, iOS, and MacOS.
This repo contains a table of contents for various the Gordian system projects and features. Please see individual repos and pages for more information.
Quick Links for All Repos
- Linux Bitcoin-StandUp-Scripts
- QuickConnect API
GordianWallet on iOS (and macOS)
GordianWallet-iOS is a purpose-built remote app for securely connecting to your node over Tor from anywhere in the world. Combined with your GordianServer, it provides you with a powerful suite of tools for managing Bitcoin. You can scan the QuickConnect QR code from GordianServer-macOS and easily create mutli-sig wallets where one key gets stored on your device, one on your node, and one in offline backup.
GordianWallet-iOS is a macCatalyst app and can therefore be used on either iOS devices or macOS.
Other Wallet Options: FullyNoded for iOS
GordianWallet author Peter Denton also provides an alternative app: FullyNoded-iOS, a feature-rich Bitcoin wallet.
Gordian Server on MacOS
GordianServer-macOS.app is an app that provides personal one-click installation for Bitcoin Core and Tor. It's built on Bitcoin Standup technology that presents a QuickConnect QR code that can be used to pair mobile wallets for remote use over Tor V3.
GordianServer-macOS has been developed and tested on "Mojave" and "Catalina", it can be installed via a DMG or an Xcode compilation
Other Node Options: Bitcoin Standup for Linux
Linux Bitcoin-StandUp-Scripts achieves the same thing as GordianServer-macOS, but comes in the form of Linux scripts rather than a central app.
The easiest-to-use version of the Linux scripts run through the StackScript system at Linode, but you can alternatively use Linux scripts that have been tested with Debian Stretch and Ubuntu 18.04.
Gordian Signer on Android, MacOS, or iOS
The multi-platform GordianSigner app for Android, iOS, and MacOS very simply allows for a PSBT to be signed by the input of a xprv, 12-word mnemonic word set, or QR-UR. It does not transmit the PSBT, but just updates it, for finalization on another node.
This is our first example of a rapid multi-platform deployment, and also our first example of one of patrons (Bitmark) directly working with us to release an app for the Commons.
Quick Connect for the Gordian system
The Gordian system is built on the Quick Connect API, which defines the spec for a deep link URI and a scannable QR Code, and which links your GordianServer (or other Bitcoin Standup node) to a GordianWallet. Besides being used by GordianServer-macOS, it's also supported by several server-side node manufacturers.
More information about the purpose and design of the Gordian system can be found in the following documents:
- Why Run a Full Node? Why would you want to run a full node in the first place? There are advantages in validation, privacy, security, liquidity, and education.
- Security for Your Gordian system. Notes on ensuring the security of your GordianServer.
- Why Gordian? What the Gordian name means to us.
The best place to talk about Blockchain Commons and its projects is in our GitHub Discussions areas.
Gordian System Discussions. For users and developers of the Gordian system, including the Gordian Server, Bitcoin Standup technology, QuickConnect, and the Gordian Wallet. If you want to talk about our linked full-node and wallet technology, suggest new additions to our Bitcoin Standup standards, or discuss the implementation our standalone wallet, the Discussions area of the main Gordian repo is the place.
Blockchain Commons Discussions. For developers, interns, and patrons of Blockchain Commons, please use the discussions area of the Community repo to talk about general Blockchain Commons issues, the intern program, or topics other than the Gordian System or the wallet standards, each of which have their own discussion areas.
The full node created by the Gordian system can also be interlinked with other projects from Blockchain Commons.
- Learning Bitcoin from the Command Line is a tutorial for programming the
bitcoin-cli, which can be run using a full node such as the one created by the Gordian system.
The Gordian system is a project of Blockchain Commons. We are proudly a "not-for-profit" social benefit corporation committed to open source & open development. Our work is funded entirely by donations and collaborative partnerships with people like you. Every contribution will be spent on building open tools, technologies, and techniques that sustain and advance blockchain and internet security infrastructure and promote an open web.
To financially support further development of the Gordian system and other projects, please consider becoming a Patron of Blockchain Commons through ongoing monthly patronage as a GitHub Sponsor. You can also support Blockchain Commons with bitcoins at our BTCPay Server.