Please note: do not reproduce Boston Globe logos or fonts without written permission.
sudo pip install csvkit
npm install -g shapefile d3 ndjson-cli mapshaper topojson-server topojson-simplify topojson-client
brew install gdal
- Every 15 minutes, run
make all -B. This will generate
output/snowtotals.topojson, if there is weather data. Publish this to production.
- If the make task errors out, it most likely means there is no snowfall data. Try again in 15 minutes.
Clone repo and run
To start the local server, run
Step 1: make a project folder on apps
- Either connect to the apps server (
smb://legacydocroot.globe.com/web/bgapps/html/) or connect to shell and navigate to your directory (
- If you're using the finder, simply make a new folder in the correct directory with your project name (reference
config.jsonfor your project name).
- If you're using terminal,
Step 2: gulp
gulp prod -u usernameto deploy. Outputs files into
dist/prodfolder in root.
- Optional: Use the flag
--htmlto only upload the index.html file (use this if you have no updates to assets and want faster upload)
- Your graphic is now internally visible at http://dev.apps.bostonglobe.com/[section]/graphics/[year]/[month]/[graphic-name].
Step 3: publish assets
- In Terminal, connect to shell (your username is usually first initial last name):
- Navigate to your graphic directory:
- Run the command
upload *in the root and each subdirectroy. (ex.
cd css, then
upload *to upload all files in that folder).
- A zipped archive is also pushed to apps. It has the full unminified code for the future when gulp and stuff are fossils.