NOTE: Lots more documentation needed.
Extracts location data about various place types from Google Places, and produces a line map showing how close a grid of locations are from these places.
Run in the following order, making adjustments to the variables at the top of each file to suit your needs:
- get-nearest-place.py: Scans the entire area you're looking at and records the location of the nearest place of interest.
- clean-geo-data.py: Separates data into separate files if you run the Google Places scan using multiple "place types"
- add-to-database-dedupe.py: Imports your place data into a MySQL database and de-duplicates any place locations.
- get-nearest-place-complete.py: Finds the nearest location of interest for every point on a grid. Uses data in MySQL database and outputs a CSV.
- map-places.R: Maps the data produced in step 4.