The Bus Pirate is an open source hacker multi-tool that talks to electronic stuff. It's got a bunch of features an intrepid hacker might need to prototype their next project.
This community firmware was forked from the official Dangerous Prototypes firmware due to perceived lack of interest in upkeep of the Bus Pirate firmware. This repository represents the hard work of community members to sustain and continue the legacy of the Bus Pirate device.
As of this writing (Dec, 2016), it is our opinion that this repository contains the latest code for the Bus Pirate boards version 3 and 4.
- Asynchronous serial
- PC keyboard
- HD44780 LCD
- 2- and 3-wire libraries with bitwise pin control
- Scriptable binary bitbang, 1-Wire, I2C, SPI, and UART modes.
- 0 - 5.5v tolerant pins
- 0 - 6v measurement probe
- 1Hz - 40MHz frequency measurement
- 1kHz - 4MHz pulse-width modulator, frequency generator
- On-board multi-voltage pull-up resistors
- On-board 3.3v and 5v power supplies with software reset
- Macros for common operations
- Bus traffic sniffers (SPI, I2C)
- A bootloader for easy firmware updates
- Transparent USB→serial mode
- 10Hz - 1MHz low-speed logic analyzer
- Servo driver
- Can program many AVR microcontrollers
- Supported by AVRdude
- Can emulate the AVR STK500 v2 with alternate ST500 Clone firmware
- Programs FPGAs and CPLDs with alternate XSVF firmware
- Scriptable from Perl, Python, etc.
- Public domain (Creative Commons Zero) source. Prototype with the Bus Pirate, then use the code in your project however you want.
The Bus Pirate is used through a simple terminal interface, but these applications also support the Bus Pirate as a programming device, etc.
- AVRDude AVR programmer (AVRDude v5.8+, firmware v4 (any) or v5.9+)
- OpenOCD JTAG debugger
- flashrom bios/flash programmer
Bus Pirate v4.0 - Newer, more space for bigger firmwares
Bus Pirate v3.6 - Proven, more well tested
- Worldwide: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/bus-pirate-v3-assembled-p-609.html?cPath=61_68
- USA: https://www.adafruit.com/products/237?&main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=237
- USA: http://www.epictinker.com/Bus-Pirate-v3-assembled-p/thm180c4m.htm
- Germany: http://www.watterott.com/en/Bus-Pirate
- Europe: http://evola.fr/en/dangerous-prototypes/164-bus-pirate-v3-6.html
- USA: https://anibit.com/product/ptt07001
Refer to building-and-flashing-firmware to see how to build and flash this firmware.