Script that simplifies exporting all your stuff out of Thingiverse
It creates a Git-compatible directory with a list and folders. Each folder contains all the files, images and description for each design.
Free your things! Au revoir Thingiverse!
Example of the result: https://github.com/carlosgs/carlosgs-designs
Not associated with Thingiverse, use at your own risk
- Optional: Create an empty Git repository, clone the repo locally
- Download the python script as raw into the created empty directory
- Edit lines 17-19 for user, authorName, and authorDescription
- Install PIP (sudo apt-get install python-pip)
- Install requests (sudo pip install requests)
- Install beautifulsoup (sudo pip install beautifulsoup) not BeautifulSoup4
- Run the script from the same directory (python export_things.py)
- Optional: Commit and push the changes into your Git repository
You can also browse the generated directories offline, by simply using a Markdown viewer (i.e. MarkdownPreview for Chrome)
- Added another script that allows fetching a single design. Run as:
- It will create a directory with the title of the design and all the necessary files.
- Select which page to download (save your liked things too!)
- Files can be downloaded OR linked from the original website to save disk space
- Customize authorship
- Customize the header for the pages
- Select if files will be re-downloaded if already present
- Select if things will be re-processed if the folder is already present (to save time when re-running for long lists)
- Thanks to everyone who is re-sharing the script
- Thanks to Derrick Oswald for writing installation instructions
- Thanks to Mark Durbin (MakeALot) for a bugfix
Author: Carlos Garcia Saura (carlosgs)
Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.