manage-dotfiles.py is a tool to manage your dotfiles.
Why another tool?
- It's so obvious how to use this that your grandmother could do it.
- Not tied with git, or any other VCS (does have optional features which require
- Just a few lines of code. Not a crapload some other tools.
- Easy installation and upgrade; also makes it easy to merge your files.
- Not based on symlinks. Be free to modify your files and not merge changes back.
So, how do you use it:
- In the directory
modulesyou keep modules.
- Every module has a
module.pycode, here you can assign
symlinksto manage as a dict where the key is the destination directory, and the value is the directory from which to source them (relative to the module dir).
./manage-dotfiles.pyto install & merge everything, or
./manage-dotfiles.py module1 module2to install only
module2. You can also use the
-ito switch to ask confirmation for everything, and the
-fswitch to override all local files regardless of any changes.
Alternatives: dotfiles.github.io lists some.