Windshaft map tiler
A Node.js map tile library for PostGIS and torque.js, with CartoCSS styling.
- Can render arbitrary SQL queries
- Generates image and UTFGrid interactivity tiles
- Accepts, stores, serves, and applies map styles written in CartoCSS
- Supports re-projections
Being a dynamic map renderer, windshaft commits some map server 'sins' in its raw form. The idea is that you the developer will want to graft your own auth/metrics/caching/scaling on top of decent core components. Same old story: high cohesion, low coupling makes us happy. See Windshaft-cartodb.
Windshaft is a library used by CARTO, a location intelligence and data visualization tool.
More examples built on top of Windshaft can be found in CARTO's gallery.
- Node >= 6.9
- yarn >= 0.27.5
- Mapnik 3.x. See Installing Mapnik.
- PostgreSQL > 8.3.x, PostGIS > 1.5.x
- Redis > 2.2.x
- libcairo2-dev, libpango1.0-dev, libjpeg8-dev and libgif-dev for server side canvas support
Dependencies installation example:
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:cartodb/cairo sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install -y build-essential checkinstall pkg-config libcairo2-dev libjpeg8-dev libgif-dev
yarn install [windshaft]
Probably one of the more advanced uses of Windshaft library can be found at Windshaft-cartodb project.
Latest node-mapnik versions comes compiled for some platforms and architectures, in case you need it you can always compile, package and install it manually. The recommended option is to use mapnik-packaging. You can also use other alternatives:
- Source: https://github.com/mapnik/mapnik
- OSX: https://github.com/mapnik/mapnik/wiki/MacInstallation_Homebrew
- Linux: https://github.com/mapnik/mapnik/wiki/LinuxInstallation
Windshaft has a unit and acceptance test suite.
To execute them, run
You'll need to be sure your PGUSER (or your libpq default) is set to a "superuser" PostgreSQL account, for example:
PGUSER=postgres yarn test
Fonts: Invalid value for text-face-name
You need to install fonts at system level to be able to use them. If you face an issue like
Invalid value for text-face-name, the type font is expected. DejaVu Sans Book (of type string) was given. probably you don't have the
required fonts, try to install DejaVu fonts or any other font needed.
-- Thanks to the Mapnik and Mapbox team for making such flexible tools