CHOW - a maximally truculent distortion effect
tru·cu·lent | \ˈtrə-kyə-lənt also ˈtrü-
Definition of truculent
1 : aggressively self-assertive : BELLIGERENT
2 : scathingly harsh : VITRIOLIC
// truculent criticism
3 : feeling or displaying ferocity : CRUEL, SAVAGE
4 : DEADLY, DESTRUCTIVE
CHOW is a digital ditortion effect designed for maximum truculence, somewhere between a true half-wave rectifier and a noisy vintage compressor. Useful for mixing guitars, drums, even vocals when a heavily degraded sound is desired. Feel free to build and use for your own enjoyment!
CHOW is currently available in the following formats:
- Standalone plugin
Instructions For Building
If you would like to build CHOW for yourself, use the following steps, otherwise you can download the latest builds here.
- Install Git
- Run the following git commands:
# Clone the repository git clone --recursive https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/CHOW.git # Enter the repository cd CHOW # Initialize JUCE submodule git submodule update --init --recursive
- Navigate to "JUCE/extras/Projucer/Builds/"
- Build the Projucer using XCode (Mac), Visual Studio (Windows), or Makefile (Linux)
- From the Projucer, open CHOW.jucer
- From the "File" menu, open "Global Paths..."
- Set "Path To JUCE" to "...\CHOW\JUCE"
- Set "JUCE Modules" to "...\CHOW\JUCE\modules"
- Set "VST (Legacy) SDK" to "...CHOW\VST2_SDK"
- Close "Global Paths" window
- Select "Save and open in IDE"
- Build CHOW
CHOW is freely distributable and is covered by the terms of the GNU licensing agreement. Enjoy!