What it does
A web extension to synchronize bookmarks between browers. Supports the following features:
- Works in Firefox, Google Chrome, Vivaldi, and Brave desktop browsers
- Syncs as a single backup file to Dropbox, Google Drive, or Box
- Configurable automatic sync
Note that this extension talks to a companion backend app required for initial handshake to third-party APIs called syncmarx-api
How to Build
First make sure you have the latest version of Node.js installed. Then follow the instructions below from within the project directory.
npm install npm run dev # Or to auto-rebuild on file changes: npm run dev-watch
npm install npm run prod # Or to auto-rebuild on file changes: npm run prod-watch
How to Test
You have two options for testing. The first is to simply build the app, and load the directory as an unpacked extension directly from within your browser.
The other way is to run
npm run dev-web-ext (or
prod-web-ext depending on target environment). This will load the extension into a temporary instance of Firefox for testing.
How to Configure Syncmarx
Follow the on-screen instructions. The app will walk you through the authentication process for a third-party cloud file host (currently Dropbox, Google Drive, or Box). Copy and paste the provided token into the app, and you can start syncing bookmarks.
- Currently may not be able to reconcile/sort duplicates within the same folder
- Will not manage browser-specific bookmark functionality due to Web Extension spec limitations (e.g. Seperators, tags, keywords, description, favicons, etc.)
- Will not track Firefox's "Other Bookmarks" folder (a.k.a. "Unorganized" bookmarks)
- Still overall alpha in general so it is recommended to create a backup of your bookmarks before using
- Microsft Edge support will not be possible until this issue is resolved