Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Week 2 - July 2 / 8
SUNDAY, July 2, 2017
- Tips for searching for answers and debugging
- Intro to visual design for developers - Brooke Kao
- Intro to html and css frameworks - Mallory Reulman
- Frameworks and libraries
- Intro to databases
To be done by today
- Our Tech stack
- Sketches/wireframes for the project
- User test the sketches/wireframes
- Tasks in the backlog
Our Goals for the week are
- Get our Dev environments set up
- Experiment with the gtfs files
- Experiment with the Yelp API
- Experiment with the Google API
- Add the React on Rails Gem
- Set up User Stories in the Tracker
- Start coding
- Continue learning language, git, frameworks
- Pick a CSS framework if needed
- Pick a database if needed
- Pick plain SQL vs ORM if needed
- Add hard coded-coded data or seed data if needed
- Users test the app if needed
- Use a project management tool if needed
Each team will present the work they have done this week
- Start coding
- Pick a persistence strategy
MONDAY, July 3, 2017
Venetya Attempted creation of scaffolding using
rails new LoveLA -d postgresql
The pg gem failed to install. Researching solution.
I was able to resolve the problem using
brew update; brew install postgresql
from the command line. Brew reported that postgresql was already installed, it just wasn't linked. To create the symlinks I had to enter this at the command line:
brew link --overwrite postgresql
Once the symlinks were successfully created I was able to install the gem.
Adding a user for our app
I launched PGAdmin and added a new role (lovela) and a new database (lovela). The next step was to modify the database.yml file in the Rails project with the appropriate login info under the 'development' area.
With these details completed, the web server can now be launched on my local machine.
Set up our Pivotal Tracker for User Stories
We experimented with Git Projects and found it a bit too new to use.
TUESDAY, July 4, 2017
I got as far as
foreman start -f Procfile.dev in the React-on-Rails tutorial
At which point I could not run the server. I think it has to do withmy Vagrant
Drinks, Food & Fireworks viewing
Venetya Created routes for metro api http requests, one for a list of routes, another for a list of stops. Created templates for displaying list of routes.
Obtained credentials from Yelp and Google for getting location information and maps.
WEDNESDAY, July 5, 2017
Jen 7pm standup Open Street Map has a public query point, which means you can get raw data for overlaying upon Google Maps! Ex: map of pharmacies in LA, click Data to get data: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/qbe
Venetya Created models and migrations for route and stop info. The metro api was returning error 502 this morning, which indicates we will need to have a backup data source.