NitroSharp (codename Project Hoppy)
NitroSharp is an open-source reimplementation of N2System, a visual novel engine used in a number of games made by Nitroplus. The primary goal of the project is to make Chaos;Head Noah, a console-exclusive game, fully playable on PC (Windows, Linux) and possibly other platforms (listed below). Support for other N2System-based games may come later.
NitroSharp is close to being feature-complete. You should be able to reach at least some of the endings in Chaos;Head Noah without crashes, if you're lucky. Please do not expect NitroSharp to be a viable drop-in replacement for N2System just yet.
- Do expect all sorts of bugs.
- Do not expect your saves to work after upgrading to a newer build of the engine or modifying the scripts.
- Do not use NitroSharp if you simply want to enjoy the game.
Support for the archive formats AFS NPA
- Decent, reliable save system
- Graphical effects
- Motion blur
- Lens (partially implemented)
- Box blur (currently disabled)
- Fullscreen mode
- Auto mode
- Backlog voice replay
- Controller support (partially implemented)
- Chaos;Head Noah
The initial release will likely only support two major platforms:
- Windows x64
- Direct3D 11
- Linux x64
The Linux version currently doesn't have sound.
It should be theoretically possible to add support for the following platforms:
- Windows x86
- Windows ARM64
- Linux ARM64
- Nintendo Switch
- .NET 7 SDK
- PowerShell 7 (only for AOT-compiled builds)
- Windows SDK might be required for producing Windows builds
dotnet run --no-launch-profile --project ./src/NitroSharp.ShaderCompiler/NitroSharp.ShaderCompiler.csproj ./src/NitroSharp/Graphics/Shaders ./bin/obj/NitroSharp/Shaders.Generated dotnet build NitroSharp.sln [-c Release]
aot-build.ps1 in PowerShell 7 to produce an AOT-compiled build. Do not expect the build script to work in the old Windows PowerShell.
How do I play the game?
- Obtain the game files.
./nipa.exe -xg nss.npa ChaosHead.
dev.contentRootpoints to the game's assets. Avoid unescaped backslashes in the path.
- This project is non-commercial and is not affiliated with Nitroplus or MAGES. in any way.
- This is a black-box reimplementation: the code in this project was written based on observing the runtime behavior of the original closed-source implementation.
- No assets from any Nitroplus games are included in this repo.