This template enables you to use one simple command to generate a full Ruby on Rails application with a functioning User model (with "Follow" and "Unfollow" actions), Facebook sign-in, and regular user-provided sign-in. It should save you a good 3-4 hours of setup time to get your basic applications going.
Using the template is easy:
rails new test_app -m templatedir/social_template.rb
After you've run the template, you will need to do the following:
- Change "TestApp" in config/routes.rb to correspond to the name of the app you specified on the command line.
- Add your Facebook developer credentials (http://developer.facebook.com) to the config/initializers/facebook.rb file.
- Change the name of your app and any other string literals in config/locales/en.yml.
- Run "rake db:migrate" to migrate your database.
- If you plan on posting to a user's Facebook Timeline, be sure to check out the line commented with a "TODO" line in authentication.rb
This template is provided for free. Free to use. Free to modify. Free to share. If you do modify the template, please be sure to include the text below this line as a courtesy. If you have any feedback, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This template was originally created by Strategic Nerds. The source code is based on the excellent Ruby on Rails Tutorial by Michael Hartl.