Cosmos (C# Open Source Managed Operating System)
Cosmos is an operating system "construction kit", built from the ground up around the IL2CPU compiler in C# and our home-brewed language called X#.
It's current stage is only usable for academic work. Some day Cosmos will be ready for production work, but to reach that stage we need more developers. Specifically, we need a few more low-level developers to help the few core developers who are currently overwhelmed with work.
Cosmos is available in two flavors:
- User Kit - The User Kit is used to develop your operating system in Visual Studio. If you are new to Cosmos, you can learn here. Latest Release available.
- Development Kit - The Development Kit is the full Cosmos source and build tools. If you need to modify the Cosmos core functions or modify built-in drivers, boot, compiler, etc.. you will need to use Development Kit. Tutorial for building the Development Kit - Building from the source is easy with our automated builder.
- Documentation for Cosmos
- Video Tutorial for using Visual Studio Express Editions
- FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Low Hanging Fruit - Looking for something easy to do and prove your worth in Cosmos? Here are a few easy tasks we have on our to do list that are also of importance to us.
Joining and helping Cosmos
- Gitter.im - The Live Chat: Click the green
Join Chatbadge at the top of this file. As with the IRC and CodePlex chat, please be patient if we don't respond immediately (no pinging).
- Yahoo Group - Email Discussion List: To prevent spam-bots from spamming, we ask you introduce yourself to join. Please mention something specific to Cosmos. For example: "Hey, I want to join" and will won't get you in....
- Facebook - Like us to see frequent updates of what is going on with Cosmos.
- YouTube Channel - Follow to see useful videos and help you programming your operating system.
- Resources - More Cosmos related links.
Articles and Resources
- Develop Your Own Operating System in C# or VB.NET
- Quick View Under the Hood
- Intro to Plugs
- X86 Assembly Debugger Preview
- Making a Remote PC Slave for Debugging or Fun (old article, code deprecated)
- Tutorials for Cosmos
- Projects for Cosmos
- Mary Jo Foley - Cosmos: An open-source .Net-based micro-kernel OS is born
- Scott Hanselman - Tiny Managed Operating System Edition
We encourage you to add your own Cosmos videos to YouTube. Please add the tags Cosmos and C# when uploading.
Official Videos - Videos made by the Cosmos Team.
- Building your first Operating System in less than 60 seconds
- Cosmos Debugging
- Cosmos PXE network boot with VMware
- Debugging on real hardware
- User Cosmos videos on YouTube (Cosmos, C#)
User Videos - Selected videos made by Cosmos Users. Please note that we have not verified each of these videos.