This repo is a collection of samples designed to demonstrate how developers can use the json-based APIs found at Open Data DC to build data-centric applications. It is managed by DC Government staff members of Chief Data Officer's team.
About the Samples
- require only basic developer or analyst skills and tools.
- are easily hacked by simply changing data sources, titles, and making other minor configuration changes.
- have an understated but pleasing look-and-feel.
- show how you can consume data on Open Data DC in lots of clients: esri, D3, mapbox, leaflet, google maps
Table of Contents
|1||dcopendata_atmlocations_arcgis||Simple clustering using ArcGIS JS API||Dojo, ArcGIS JS API|
|2||dcopendata_bikeshare_mapbox||Uses pin to location and simple buffer to reveal points in range, includes seach by location, 'my location', and drag and drop/click anywhere responses||Mapbox GL JS, JQuery|
|3||dcopendata_buildingpermits_mapbox||Simple clustering example with slider to display monthly datasets using Mapbox||Mapbox GL JS, JQuery, D3|
|4||dcopendata_crime_collapsibletree_mapbox||Displays crime data using dendrogram using mapbox||Mapbox GL JS, D3, JQuery|
|5||dcopendata_crime_treemap_d3||Displays crime data as a treemap using d3||D3, JQuery|
|6||dcopendata_income_choropleth_google||Load values and display them with graduated colors with additional popups on scroll over/click using Google Maps JS API||Google Maps JS API, JQuery|
|8||dcopendata_school_mapbox||Simple example of how to create side layout next to map and add interaction between data list item and map||Mapbox JS, JQuery|
|9||dcopendata_ward_leaflet||Simple example of loading in a basic data set into a leaflet map||Leaflet, JQuery|
|10||dcopendata_cama_python||Example of creating visual displays with python in a Jupyter Notebook||Python, Jupyter Notebooks|
Other examples of interesting and effective uses of data on http://opendata.dc.gov:
- Temporal visualization, distance selection, and summarizing crime data using Esri tools https://github.com/ajturner/dc-crime