Git is a distributed version control system used to manage changes to text files.
On OS/X, git is part of the xcode command line tools. To install them:
Open a terminal.
Type the following in the terminal:
As part of installing git, install the gitbash command line environment so that the command line is consistent across Windows, OSX and Linux.
Download git for windows: https://git-scm.com/download/win
Click on the git installer:
- Accept the license and click
- Select the installation folder, default is fine. Click
- Select the components to be installed, the default is fine:
- Windows Only: select start menu folder (default is fine):
- Choose the default editor used by Git. Select
Visual Studio Codeas the default editor. (Note that you must install
Visual Studio Codefirst before you can move forward past this step of the Git install.) Click
- Choose the "Use Git from the Windows Command Prompt" radio button and then click
- Choose the HTTPS transport backend (the default is fine). Click
- Configure the line ending conversions (the default is fine). Click
- On the 'configuring the terminal emulator to use with Git Bash' window, choose the "Use Windows default console window" option:
- Configure the extra options (the defaults are fine). Click
- Git should now be installing:
- Click through the rest of the install, leaving the defaults, and then click
Finishon the last window:
Test that git is installed:
The terminal should print something like (note that this is truncated):
usage: git [--version] [--help] [-C <path>] [-c name=value] [--exec-path[=<path>]] [--html-path] [--man-path] [--info-path] [-p | --paginate | --no-pager] [--no-replace-objects] [--bare] [--git-dir=<path>] [--work-tree=<path>] [--namespace=<name>] <command> [<args>]
Updating an earlier development version of Git (that is already installed)
Check which development version of Git is currently installed on the computer:
Check for the most recent development version of Git on their website here. As of December 2018, the most recent development version of Git is 2.19.2.
To update a computer that already has an earlier development version:
Open the Git website downloads page in a browser and follow the posted download instructions according to the computer type: Mac, Linux/Unix, or Windows.
Then, check that the new development version of Git is now installed: