The most important thing
While we welcome everyone to (almost all of) our events and our space, DMG is specifically for genderqueer, nonbinary, femme people, Two Spirit people, and trans and cis women.
DMG is an explicitly feminist space but open to any and all genders.
We prioritize people who are traditionally marginalized in tech and game spaces, especially those whom DMG specifically serves, as well as people who are racialized, neurodiverse, and/or have disabilities. We expect all of our members to do the same.
If this does not describe you, that doesn't mean you aren't welcome here! It just means that our time, effort, attention, and programming revolves around needs and interests that might not match your own. We hope you'll join as a friend, and look for ways your skills and experience can support our mission and our membership.
We acknowledge the work of creating a safer, more equitable space is work that will never be complete, and that we're not perfect. The terms we use to describe our experience are always changing, and we are always listening and learning. We are eager to maintain and defend the inclusivity of this community. If you think of something that is missing from this handbook, or a way we could improve it, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to an organizer.
So, why are you here?
People join DMG for lots of different reasons. Here are a few of the kinds of people who are part of this organization:
- Anyone interested in exploring ways to express themselves creatively through games, computer programming and interactive digital experiences
- Students who need additional support and opportunities for learning outside the classroom
- Artists who enjoy the supportive, welcoming and stimulating environment DMG provides, even if they’re not creating games (yet!)
- Experienced game designers who want to contribute to the community
- People interested in developing technical and artistic skills, who want to hone their craft in an informal environment
One of our goals is to remove obstacles to our members’ success, and the best way you can help us do that is to think about what you hope to get out of DMG and contribute as a member. We ask these questions in your membership application, and look forward to talking to you about your aspirations at an event.
Here are some good things to do if you are brand-new to DMG.