Journalist turned programmer. Promoter of women in tech. Wanderer of the world and learner of a great many things.
Full stack developer. Advocate for OpenData; its use and communication. I believe OpenData is as powerful as freedom of speech. Paired with inclusivity and a free and open web, I believe in its potential as a powerful conduit for knowledge-share.
Left CNN International to learn to code with tech startup ScraperWiki, becoming a Knight-Mozilla OpenNews fellow at the Guardian in 2012 and a data journalist at the Times & Sunday Times the following year. Spent three intensive moths at Makers Academy learning web development skills.
Digital Media, Web Editing, Broadcast Journalism, News Writing, Blogging, New Media, Video Editing, Social Media
Speaker and Trainer
Keynote speaker at OKFn Festival Barcelona. Given talks at SxSW, NewsRewired and various meetup groups. Provided technical training to journalists at Al Jazeera and The Times. Technologist at Peace Tech Exchange Myanmar.
June - September 2015
- Developed a curiosity and passion for creating with code
- Pair programmed but also learned to indpendently solve problems
- Used OOP, SOLID, TDD, BDD, MVP principles
- Computer Science 101 - Stanford University
- Learning to Program: Crafting Quality Code - University of Toronto
- Computing for Data Analysis - John Hopkins University
- Introduction to Data Science - University of Washington
- Statistics: Making Sense of Data - University of Toronto
Cardiff University / Prifysgol Caerdydd
PG Dip, Broadcast Journalism, 2008 -2009
- Became adept at using all studio equipment as well as editing video and sound
- Brought about a passion for story telling through various media
- Solidified the importance of fact-checking and knowing legal frameworks
School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
Masters', Anthropology of Media, 2007 -2008
- Understood the cultural significance of a mediated experience
- Gained insights via group study and debate
- Produced a multimedia thesis as paper is a dying medium
Trinity College, Dublin
Undergraduate, Theoretical Physics, Zoology, 2002 -2007
- Double major allowed after gaining a scholarship
- Learned to find elegant solutions based on experimentation at both a theoretical and practical level
- First female Trinity Scholar in Theoretical Pyhsics
Any other qualifications
PADI Advanced underwater diver
Data Journalist at The Times & Sunday Times
May 2013 - June 2015
The programmer-journalist in a three person team spearheading data driven investigative journalism across both Times titles. Worked with journalists to source, clean and analyze data for exclusive stories as well as building prototypes for the interactive developers and online designers.
Knight-Mozilla OpenNews Fellow at Guardian Group
January 2012 - January 2013
One year fellowship to hone my coding skills in the area of data journalism. I was awarded the opportunity to be based at the Guardian Interactive team. I spoke at SxSW and Media Party Argentina whilst part of the team. See below for a link to my Guardian profile with articles and interactive pieces I have worked on.
Data Journalism Advocate at ScraperWiki Ltd
February 2011 - December 2011
Managed links and relationships between open data scraping and investigative journalism, allowing data to tell its story. Learnt to programme and scrape websites in Python and explored the new avenues of data journalism.
Digital Producer at CNN
September 2010 - February 2011
A producer for CNN's initiative to integrate web and TV, cross platform projects and reporting using social media tools with a focus on television output. I was working across all news shows, sports and prime time feature shows.
Researcher at The Centre for Investigative Journalism
August 2009 - August 2010
Worked with The Independent and The Sunday Times journalist, Martin Tomkinson, on a large-scale, long-term investigation into the dirty dealings of a multinational company.
Honors and Awards
- Award of Excellence by the Society of News Design – Colossus interactive graphic
- Speaking position at the Royal Statistical Society International Conference – Gender Gap interactive graphic
- Knight-Mozilla OpenNews Fellow 2012
- Trinity Scholar 2003