This Version 10 Release Candidate includes three new automated checks as noted below. The comment period for these rules was from August 1 - September 16, 2019 - see https://xbrl.us/public-review for details.
Proposed new rules:
- Disaggregation by Variable Interest Elements (DQC_0082) - addresses the inconsistencies in filing relative to VIE reporting, where the same facts are reported differently within a filing or across filings. This rule highlights if the filer has used one of these VIE elements so that filings can be consistently reported using the ConsolidatedEntitiesAxis.
- Consolidated Variable Interest Entities (DQC_0083) - addresses the inconsistencies in filing relative to VIE reporting, where the same facts are reported differently within a filing or across filings. This rule highlights where a filer has used a different approach to represent the portion of the financial statements that are attributable to the VIE.
- Durational Aggregation (DQC_0084) - addresses inconsistencies in tagging the same element from period to period. The rule flags the following data quality errors:
- Values tagged with 0 instead of being tagged with nil
- Inconsistent addition across periods
- Two-way elements tagged with the inappropriate sign
- Inappropriate element selection across periods
- Inappropriate decimals
- compiled v10 ruleset.zip and resources.zip files
- dqc.xule source code copyright updates, rule form formatting fixes
Change logs, build details & unit test results:
- since last approved release v9.0.3...v10.0.0RC4
- DQC build 3.0.22775 || xule build 3.0.22775
- Travis CI status - - the test archive is attached to the release and also embedded in the release in the tests directory. The readme.md outlines the testing process.
This release does not require users to update DQC Rules plugin installations from v8.1.4, unless you're processing the checks locally (without using the Internet). Remember to update to the latest rulesetMap - see the last step for new installations below.
If you're adding the plugin to your Arelle installation for the first time, install according to the instructions below.
To use DQC Rules with Arelle's graphic interface (GUI):
Download and extract the source code .zip or tar.gz archive of this release to your local computer.
Remove all prior DQC Rules plugin installations from Arelle. Any prior version of DQC rules / xule should be removed. To do this, start Arelle, Go to Help->Manage Plugins menu. Select the existing xule (DQC) plugin and click on remove, close the Plugins menu and click "Yes" to allow the Arelle application to restart, then close Arelle.
xulefolder in Arelle's
pluginfolder and replace with files from this release. The plugin folder in the DQC release follows the plugin folder structure in Arelle. The
DQC.pyfile from the
plugin\validatesubfolder of the release should be dropped in the corresponding folder in the Arelle install. Likewise, the
xulefolder and files should be located at the
plugin\xulefolder in the Arelle install.
Initialize the DQC plugin. After the files are copied from the release archive into the Arelle folder structure on the local computer, start Arelle and go to the Help->Manage Plugins menu. Click on the "Select" button, choose "DQC.py" from the list and then click "OK" and "Yes" to restart Arelle. NOTE: It is not necessary to to select the "xule" plugin - the DQC.py plugin imports the xule files automatically.
Set the plugin to validate filings. After Arelle (re)starts, check that there is a check mark next to the DQC option under the Tools->Validation menu. If the DQC is not selected, click on the option to select it and it is now ready to run DQC checks when a filing is opened in Arelle. The current build references are DQC build 3.0.22775 || xule build 3.0.22775 (this detail is found under the Tools->DQC->Version... menu)
Use the Tools->DQC menu to update the Ruleset Map to the current version or manage changes to a customized Ruleset Map in the existing environment. See the README and Usage pages for more details and options.
To use DQC Rules from the command line:
--plugin validate/DQCon the command line. See Using DQC Rules with Arelle - from a command prompt for complete details.
Ruleset Map Options
- The current v10 rulesetMap.json file for the release candidate for these rules is located at: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DataQualityCommittee/dqc_us_rules/v10.0.0RC4/plugin/xule/rulesetMap.json
- The current v9 rulesetMap.json file for approved rules is located at: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DataQualityCommittee/dqc_us_rules/v9.0.4/plugin/xule/rulesetMap.json
About the DQC Rules Plugin
The DQC rules are run using an Arelle plugin written in an XBRL rule syntax called Xule. Xule is processed in a plugin for the SEC's EDGAR Renderer/Previewer - Arelle on a local computer or server. The DQC plugin reads a specified ruleset and the assertions defined in the ruleset are evaluated against an XBRL instance, a taxonomy or an extension taxonomy, creating validation messages.