Sequence - The Responsive Slider with Advanced CSS3 Transitions
Sequence provides the complete functionality for a website slider without forcing you to use a set theme. In fact, Sequence has no in-built theme, leaving you complete creative control to build a unique slider using only CSS3 -- no jQuery knowledge required!
- Unique transition styles created using CSS3
- Supports all modern browsers
- Gracefully degrades in older browsers*
- Supports responsive layouts
- Supports touch devices and swiping
- Many developer features with even more to come
- Semantic and easy to use markup
- Open source
*Tested down to Firefox 3.6 and IE7. Extensive support details to come.
- Modern Slide In
- Modern Slide In (with hashTags enabled)
- Sliding Horizontal Parallax
- Apple Style
- Documentation Demo
Documentation can be found here: SequenceJS Demo.
sequence.js is a FREE script and is dual licensed under the following: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php | http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
- Minor fixes
- It's now possible to skip frames whilst they are animating. Finally!
- Added new options relating to navigation skipping:
transitionThresholdoption. One frame can now only animate in immediately after the other. Nobody seemed to use this option and its presence affected the new navigation skipping options. If you want a time period between one frame animating out and the next frame animating in, use a CSS
- Removed defunct code and general tidy up
Note: If upgrading from an existing Sequence.js version and using a preloader, please add
preloader: true to your options
- Changed the
- Now works with jQuery 1.8.2
autoPlaylogic, which is now much simpler and easier to maintain
.unpause()function for clarity (
.pause()will still toggle between pause and unpause for backwards compaitibility)
isHardPausedis set to true when Sequence is paused via the pause button. You can also pass an argument of true when using the
.pause(true)public method to manually set
transitionThresholdsetting now works when
- Fixed keyboard events. Pressing numeric keys will now navigate to respective frames. Custom key events are also working
pauseOnElementsOutsideContainersetting. Seemed to have been broken for a while and nobody noticed so decided it was useless!
- Added more inline documentation to the non minified version -- more to come!
- Preloader should now work perfectly in all browsers
Note: 0.7.2 may not be backwards compatible with existing themes if those themes use callbacks or the public variable
paused, which has now been renamed to
isPaused. Please see the documentation for how callbacks now work and update your theme accordingly.
- Preloader now more stable (although still not perfect, will be fixed in 0.7.3)
- Change how callbacks work to be more intuitive and work around IE issues
- Updated themes to work with new callback method
- Added hashTag support. See the modified Modern Slide In demo to see hashTags in action. Also see the documentation for relevant options.
- Minor fix to prevent frames from being able to animate in before another frame has finished animating (when the transitionThreshold is greater than the animation time).
preloadTheseImagesoptions. Previously, when the
preloaderoption was true, Sequence wouldn't initiate until the entire page had loaded. By giving the
preloadTheseFramesoption a comma separated list of frame numbers, you can tell Sequence which images need to be loaded before Sequence initiates. The
preloadTheseImagescan be given a comma separated list of image paths that tells Sequence to only initiate once those images have loaded. If you'd like, you can combine these options to have all images in frame 1 and one image from frame 2 to load before Sequence initiates.
moveActiveFrameToTopoption that will bring an active frame to the top via z-index
- Dropped Opera 11 down to fallback theme support due to it's poor implementation of CSS3 transitions
- Made adding UI elements simpler (which reduced a lot of code too)
- The default preloader icon now uses SVG - no more 404s for the preloader image!
- General fixes and tidy up
- Added "Slide" fallback theme and made it the default. "Slide" provides better support for older versions of Internet Explorer because opacity is no longer needed. In the original "Fade" fallback, opacity was used which caused a black halo around PNGs.
- Added new option
hideFramesUntilPreloaded, which is
trueby default. When
true, frames will be hidden as soon as Sequence is loaded and then shown when everything has preloaded.
- Lots of changes made to the themes to better assist with Internet Explorer support. Also removed CSS Resets into their own files to make themes a little more modular.
- Minor fix to get Sequence working in Opera 12
Note: 0.6.7 may not be backwards compatible with existing themes if those themes use the afterPreload callback, which has now been renamed to afterLoaded
- Fixed bug that prevented Sequence from initiating when the preloader was disabled
- Changed the name of the afterPreload callback to afterLoaded and made it execute whether a preloader is used or not
- Changed the name of the
fallbacknow has an option within it called
theme. In the future, the
themeoption can be given different strings such as
slideto provide different fallback themes for older browsers.
- A few minor adjustments to improve or remove redundant code
Bug fix for Multiple Instances of Sequence
The documentation has been slightly modified to better assist with multiple instances of Sequence on the same page. The default Sequence preloader was originally appended to the Sequence container as an ID but this caused issues when using more than one Sequence instance, so it's now a class.
Note: 0.6.5 may not be backwards compatible with existing themes if those themes use the delayDuringOutInTransitions setting, which has now been renamed to transitionThreshold
You can now use afterCurrentFrameAnimatesOut which is triggered once the current frame reaches the end of its animate out transition
Minor changes to delayDuringOutInTransitions Setting
delayDurintOutInTransitions option renamed to
transitionThreshold which now makes all possible settings work
Minor changes to how the nextButton/prevButton/pauseButton and prependNextButton/prependPrevButton/prependPauseButton options work. Now closer match how they are described in the documentation.
Check out the updated Apple Style theme that showcases the new pause options and callbacks.
New Pause Options
pauseButton, prependPauseButton, pauseButtonSrc, pauseButtonAlt, unpauseDelay have been added to allow for a pause button when using autoPlay.
New Pause Callbacks
Two new callbacks added for pause and unpause
New customKeyEvent for Pausing
If using customKeyEvents, you can now hook a key to the pause event.
startAutoPlay Public Method Bug Fix
The public method startAutoPlay accepted an argument that would cause Sequence to wait x amount of milliseconds before autoPlay was started. This argument wasn't correctly implemented but should now work.
Sequence Container is Given a Class of "sequence-fallback" When in Fallback Mode
If Sequence goes into fallback mode because the browser doesn't support CSS3 transitions, it is given the class of "sequence-fallback" allowing for the application of styles specifically for older browsers
Note: 0.6.2 may not be backwards compatible with existing themes if those themes use the touchEnabled and keysNavigate settings (these settings have changed names, see below)
Added keyEvents Option
keyEvents allows you to specify which way the left and right arrows should cause Sequence to navigate. See Keyboard Options
Added customKeyEvents Option
customKeyEvents are keyEvents on steroids! Specify a key (using a keyCode) and the event to be trigger when the user hits that key. Example: 65: "prev" causes Sequence to navigate backwards when the "a" key is pressed on the keyboard.
Added numericKeysGoToFrames Option
When the keyboards numeric keys are pressed, if there is a frame that represents that number, Sequence will navigate to that frame.
Added swipeEvents Option
swipeEvents allows you to specify which way Sequence should navigate when the user swipes in a particular direction. Up/Down/Left/Right supported.
Added swipePreventsDefault Option
If set to true, on touch devices, when swiping over Sequence, the default will be prevented (the page will not scroll). Useful if you want up/down swiping to cause Sequence to navigate but be careful that this doesn't affect user experience by preventing scrolling the page all together.
Changed the Names of a Few Options
touchEnabled changed to swipeNavigation keysNavigate changed to keyNavigation
Tidied up the Documentation
Changed the layout of the options in the documentation
In previous versions of Sequence, all frame elements HAD to have a class for Sequence to work. This was unintentional but is now resolved in 0.6.1. Use IDs and classes as you see fit, but they're no longer necessary.
Code Optimisation and General Tweaks
Note: 0.6 may not be backwards compatible with existing themes, particularly if they use before/after callbacks or rely on the "current" class
A frame is now only deemed as being "current" when it is in the viewport but not animating. If animating in, it will have a class of "next-frame". The "current" frame now has a class of "current-frame".
Changed the before/after callbacks. These callbacks are now beforeNextFrameAnimatesIn, afterNextFrameAnimatesIn, beforeCurrentFrameAnimatesOut. Please consult the documentation and the http://sequencejs.com/themes/documentation-demo/ to better understand this.
before/after callbacks are now working correctly in the fallback themes.
Fix for Reversed Animation Speeds
If an element animates-in at 2 seconds and then animates-out at 3, when it reverses in (from the animate-out position), it will take 3 seconds.
Made 'Modern Slide In' Responsive
The theme 'Modern Slide In' is now responsive.
No changes made to Sequence.js.
Touch Swiping Improved
Swiping on touch devices has been improved and swipeThreshold is working again. Links within frames are clickable and the page can be scrolled vertically without initiating a frame change.
Changed Default Values for nextButton and prevButton
The nextButton and prevButton options are now turned off out of the box. To turn them on, either use the defaults by setting these options to true or by specifying a CSS selector to use your own custom buttons
Multiple Instances Now Working
Merged a pull request that got multiple instances of Sequence on one page working.
Previous/Next Button Options
The previous and next buttons now have a couple more options:
- nextButtonSrc: specify a path to an image to be used as the next button
- nextButtonAlt: specify a string to be used as the alt text for the next button image
- prevButtonSrc: specify a path to an image to be used as the previous button
- prevButtonAlt: specify a string to be used as the alt text for the previous button image
General tidy up of the script. Made some changes for better practice -- now only using one jQuery function etc, all dependencies are enclosed within the Sequence function. Also optimised .init().
Sequence will now detect whether Modernizr.prefixed is installed on the site, if it's not, it'll use its own instance.
Sequence will now only trigger the pause function when hovering over its child elements inside the container. If you'd like Sequence to pause when hovering on child elements outside of the container, set this to true.
In update v0.2, the pauseIcon option got broken. This is now fixed.
Sequence now has a default preloader or support for a custom preloader. When preloading is complete, a class of "preloading-complete" can be added to one or multiple elements to allow you to write your own reveal using CSS3 transitions. Also comes with a callback for when the preloading is complete.
Choose whether Sequence should go back to the start when it reaches the last frame (or the first frame if navigating backwards)
When navigating backwards, you can now specify whether frames should animate forwards or in reverse