DevSound is a sound driver for the Game Boy which supports pulse width manipulation, arpeggios, and multiple waveforms. This version is no longer under development, and I recommend using DevSound Lite instead.
Building a demo ROM and/or GBS
Note that the demo ROM is included already; these instructions are if you want to try your own modifications.
- Grab the RGBASM binaries. If you already have them, you can skip this step.
- Open a command prompt in the
- Run build.bat. If that doesn't work, try either adding the RGBASM binaries to your PATH or copying them to the repository directory.
- Install RGBDS. If RGBDS is already installed, skip this step.
- Open a terminal in the
Adding DevSound to your project
- Copy DevSound.asm, DevSound_Variables.asm, DevSound_Constants.asm, DevSound_Macros.asm, DevSound_SongData.asm, and NoiseData.bin to your project directory. If you're not using a file such as hardware.inc or gbhw.inc, you will need to include it as well.
- Allocate a ROM bank for DevSound. Make note of the bank number (unless your ROM does not use banking).
- Add the following line to your main loop:
- In order to load a song, use the following code:
ld a,SongID ; replace SongID with the ID of the song you want to load call DS_Init
- In order to stop playback, use the following line of code:
- In order to fade sound in/out, use the following code:
ld a,X ; replace X with 0 to fade out, replace X with 1 to fade in call DS_Fade
- If you need help, let me know. I can usually be reached on IRC at irc.efnet.org #gbdev, with the nick DevEd. I may also be reached on Discord in this server: https://discord.gg/gpBxq85. Just ping me (I go by the name DevEd on that server) if you need anything.
Projects that use DevSound
BotB Invitro (https://github.com/DevEd2/BotBInvite) - A one-screen Game Boy invite I created along with Pigu for Battle of the Bits. Note: Uses an earlier version of DevSound
Aevilia (https://github.com/ISSOtm/Aevilia-GB) - An RPG for Game Boy Color by ISSOtm, which I'm providing music for.
Scoot the Burbs (https://github.com/DevEd2/ScootTheBurbs) - A Vinesauce-related project I am currently working on.
If you are using DevSound in your project, let me know and I'll add it to this list.
Frequently Asked Questions