Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Install secure points to lock bikes to #211

Closed
johnmckerrell opened this issue Oct 30, 2015 · 13 comments

Comments

@johnmckerrell
Copy link
Member

commented Oct 30, 2015

After the recent theft we've decided to install something(s) that will allow us to securely lock bikes up in the corridor.

@DefProc

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Nov 4, 2015

I had a chat with Jeanette this morning, and we're OK to bolt things to the wall, providing we allow for suitable fire access in the area.

OK, I've had a look at the available wall anchor solutions that are specifically for bikes (rather than using handles etc.) and there are two main options in the "not ultra high security" category, and that will allow us to remove and take them with us if/when we move:

The smiling one does provide the extra security of keyed anti-tamper bolts, where as the Master Lock one seems to have normal hex headed bolts, so I'd be happier leaving a bike overnight, unattended, outside on the smiley ones.

A quick look at the corridor suggests 5 mounting points, so £50 for the master locks, or £125 for the smiley faces.

@johnmckerrell

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Member Author

commented Nov 4, 2015

Delivery included and doesn't look like there's a discount for (small) quantities so perhaps just get one and evaluate?

Quite tempted by "Custom shapes and colours available upon request" but can't quite think what DoES would prefer ;-)

On 4 Nov 2015, at 12:50, Patrick Fenner notifications@github.com wrote:

I had a chat with Jeanette this morning, and we're OK to bolt things to the wall, providing we allow for suitable fire access in the area.

OK, I've had a look at the available wall anchor solutions that are specifically for bikes (rather than using handles etc.) and there are two main options in the "not ultra high security" category, and that will allow us to remove and take them with us if/when we move:

at £10 each, the functional Master Lock anchor: http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-wall-floor-anchor-steel-small-128mm/59959 http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-wall-floor-anchor-steel-small-128mm/59959
and the at £25 each, a smiling, UK made, wall hoop: http://www.hbdesigns.co.uk/product/products/bike-wall-anchor/ http://www.hbdesigns.co.uk/product/products/bike-wall-anchor/
The smiling one does provide the extra security of keyed anti-tamper bolts, where as the Master Lock one seems to have normal hex headed bolts, so I'd be happier leaving a bike overnight, unattended, outside on the smiley ones.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub #211 (comment).

@DefProc

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Nov 4, 2015

Ask a designer? @redviolet
On 4 Nov 2015 13:48, "John McKerrell" notifications@github.com wrote:

Delivery included and doesn't look like there's a discount for (small)
quantities so perhaps just get one and evaluate?

Quite tempted by "Custom shapes and colours available upon request" but
can't quite think what DoES would prefer ;-)

On 4 Nov 2015, at 12:50, Patrick Fenner notifications@github.com
wrote:

I had a chat with Jeanette this morning, and we're OK to bolt things to
the wall, providing we allow for suitable fire access in the area.

OK, I've had a look at the available wall anchor solutions that are
specifically for bikes (rather than using handles etc.) and there are two
main options in the "not ultra high security" category, and that will allow
us to remove and take them with us if/when we move:

at £10 each, the functional Master Lock anchor:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-wall-floor-anchor-steel-small-128mm/59959
<
http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-wall-floor-anchor-steel-small-128mm/59959

and the at £25 each, a smiling, UK made, wall hoop:
http://www.hbdesigns.co.uk/product/products/bike-wall-anchor/ <
http://www.hbdesigns.co.uk/product/products/bike-wall-anchor/>
The smiling one does provide the extra security of keyed anti-tamper
bolts, where as the Master Lock one seems to have normal hex headed bolts,
so I'd be happier leaving a bike overnight, unattended, outside on the
smiley ones.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub <
#211 (comment)
.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#211 (comment)
.

@johnmckerrell

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Member Author

commented Nov 4, 2015

I'm guessing they'll be pricey, let's just get a smiley, @redviolet can pick a colour? ;-)

On 4 Nov 2015, at 16:30, Patrick Fenner notifications@github.com wrote:

Ask a designer? @redviolet
On 4 Nov 2015 13:48, "John McKerrell" notifications@github.com wrote:

Delivery included and doesn't look like there's a discount for (small)
quantities so perhaps just get one and evaluate?

Quite tempted by "Custom shapes and colours available upon request" but
can't quite think what DoES would prefer ;-)

On 4 Nov 2015, at 12:50, Patrick Fenner notifications@github.com
wrote:

I had a chat with Jeanette this morning, and we're OK to bolt things to
the wall, providing we allow for suitable fire access in the area.

OK, I've had a look at the available wall anchor solutions that are
specifically for bikes (rather than using handles etc.) and there are two
main options in the "not ultra high security" category, and that will allow
us to remove and take them with us if/when we move:

at £10 each, the functional Master Lock anchor:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-wall-floor-anchor-steel-small-128mm/59959
<
http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-wall-floor-anchor-steel-small-128mm/59959

and the at £25 each, a smiling, UK made, wall hoop:
http://www.hbdesigns.co.uk/product/products/bike-wall-anchor/ <
http://www.hbdesigns.co.uk/product/products/bike-wall-anchor/>
The smiling one does provide the extra security of keyed anti-tamper
bolts, where as the Master Lock one seems to have normal hex headed bolts,
so I'd be happier leaving a bike overnight, unattended, outside on the
smiley ones.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub <
#211 (comment)
.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#211 (comment)
.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub #211 (comment).

@Red-Violet

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Nov 4, 2015

Hello!

I don't like the horrible bit of metal. I think that the smiley ones are cool and the yellow, white and orange would look great in the corridor.

I think if you are going to put in secure bike parking it is important that there is enough space for everyone to park their bikes.

I say get 5 and then the job is done and there is no need to revisit it later.

😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

On 4 November 2015 20:52:06 GMT+00:00, John McKerrell notifications@github.com wrote:

I'm guessing they'll be pricey, let's just get a smiley, @redviolet can
pick a colour? ;-)

On 4 Nov 2015, at 16:30, Patrick Fenner notifications@github.com
wrote:

Ask a designer? @redviolet
On 4 Nov 2015 13:48, "John McKerrell" notifications@github.com
wrote:

Delivery included and doesn't look like there's a discount for
(small)
quantities so perhaps just get one and evaluate?

Quite tempted by "Custom shapes and colours available upon request"
but
can't quite think what DoES would prefer ;-)

On 4 Nov 2015, at 12:50, Patrick Fenner
notifications@github.com
wrote:

I had a chat with Jeanette this morning, and we're OK to bolt
things to
the wall, providing we allow for suitable fire access in the area.

OK, I've had a look at the available wall anchor solutions that
are
specifically for bikes (rather than using handles etc.) and there
are two
main options in the "not ultra high security" category, and that
will allow
us to remove and take them with us if/when we move:

at £10 each, the functional Master Lock anchor:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-wall-floor-anchor-steel-small-128mm/59959
<

http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-wall-floor-anchor-steel-small-128mm/59959

and the at £25 each, a smiling, UK made, wall hoop:
http://www.hbdesigns.co.uk/product/products/bike-wall-anchor/ <
http://www.hbdesigns.co.uk/product/products/bike-wall-anchor/>
The smiling one does provide the extra security of keyed
anti-tamper
bolts, where as the Master Lock one seems to have normal hex headed
bolts,
so I'd be happier leaving a bike overnight, unattended, outside on
the
smiley ones.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub <

#211 (comment)

.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub

#211 (comment)
.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#211 (comment).


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
#211 (comment)

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

@DefProc DefProc self-assigned this Nov 30, 2015

@DefProc

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Dec 3, 2015

One fitted, how long should we wait for testing and validation before ordering the others?

@DefProc DefProc removed their assignment Dec 3, 2015

@DefProc DefProc added the question label Dec 3, 2015

@johnmckerrell

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link
Member Author

commented Dec 3, 2015

Does it work? Is it easy enough to get a bike on? Does it seem like there'd be room to fit 2 bikes to 2 plates on one section of wall? I doubt I'll get in to take a look any time soon (though you never know).

@DefProc

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Dec 3, 2015

That first one is outside the main door. It definitely worked foe Martin to
D-lock his bike to this afternoon, but I'll have a look at the other
positions for the space.

Patrick
On 3 Dec 2015 20:16, "John McKerrell" notifications@github.com wrote:

Does it work? Is it easy enough to get a bike on? Does it seem like
there'd be room to fit 2 bikes to 2 plates on one section of wall? I doubt
I'll get in to take a look any time soon (though you never know).


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#211 (comment)
.

@DefProc

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Dec 9, 2015

The next 4 are on order

@DefProc DefProc removed the question label Dec 9, 2015

@DefProc DefProc self-assigned this Dec 9, 2015

@DefProc

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Dec 18, 2015

They haven't arrived yet, so these'll go up in January.

@jamieisboss

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Jan 5, 2016

this is on sale on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FO5TQOC/

It's a lot of money off in the january sale, and it seems like a big solution, overkill?

I've got prime so it could be delivered on wednesday

@DefProc

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Jan 5, 2016

I'm not sure that it would work in the corridor if it needs the bikes to be perpendicular to the wall, but either way, I have the remaining 4 smiles to fit.

@DefProc

This comment has been minimized.

Copy link

commented Jan 12, 2016

Fitted.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
5 participants
You can’t perform that action at this time.