Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Answering the telephone
There's a landline in the office with number 0151 703 0081
During business hours the phone is used for access to the space so should be answered if you hear it ringing. If it is someone at the intercom asking for entry then you would dial 3 to open the shutter. If you are working out of hours then you are welcome to ignore the phone as people who should be in the space will have access via their fobs. Greet anyone who has accessed building this way where possible. Don't just buzz anyone in.
The main phone is cordless, and lives in its recharge bay in the centre of the main room. The main phone has a jolly "The Entertainer" ringtone unless the call is coming from the intercom in which case it will be a more insistent phone ringing noise (with a long pause between rings). As stated, please do answer the phone as it may be someone trying to get in.
There is also a phone in the events room. This phone will only ring for the intercom so can be answered or not depending on whether you are in the space out of business hours or not. If you are hosting an event and do not expect more guests to arrive feel free to reduce the volume using the volume down key on the phone. It would be appreciated if you turn this up again when you leave.
There is also a phone in Room 29 next to the photocopier. This phone will also only ring for the intercom so can be answered or not depending on whether you are in the space out of business hours or not. If you are working during an event and its regular ringing is distracting you feel free to reduce the volume using the volume down key on the phone. It would be appreciated if you turn this up again when you leave.
Please do answer the phone, during business hours
Someone may be trying to get in. If it's a general enquiry then even if you can't really help and ask them to please email instead, it still gives a better impression of us.
Some general tips:
- Answer saying it is DoES Liverpool.
- If you're new, explain that you're new and you might not be able to answer their query, it's best to use email or people's mobiles, but you'll try.
- If you've no idea ask the office with the request ;) e.g. "Who can help with a question about the laser cutter?"
- Remember there may be people in other rooms who can help too
Some specific things
- New user who wants to use equipment - make sure they know about maker night and maker day, and help them find when next one is using calendar on our home page
- Laser cutter repair/maintenance - ask them to email
- New person who wants to cowork - inform them of the office hours, mention that they can book online although it's not required they can also just drop in. First day free if they bring cake or other snacks to share.