Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Community Meeting 20181220
Attendees: Original Sean, Nuclear Sean, Zarino, Will, Catherine, Mike, JR
Review of/actions from last meeting
- Publicise Christmas Party
- Clear Room 29 for carpets
- Create and Publicise Foodbank Drive
- Synth meet
- Didn’t go well. Mostly down to people being away / out shopping for Christmas.
- Jason has offered to help publicise next one (9th Feb?) via Fabric District / Tapestry channels.
- Christmas Decorations Workshop
- Went really well. Overran (about 4 hours in total) but food and projects went down well. Total 25 attendees, paying £15 each. Cost roughly £150, so circa £200 profit.
- Big thanks to all the helpers, including Jackie, Helen, Zarino, Mike, Stu, Matt, Chris T, Tom, and Emma.
- ACTION: Zarino or Jackie to send out follow-up email, for feedback.
- Christmas Party
- New space worked really well for this. Mix of atmospheres between the event room, the kitchen, and the main space.
- Did it cheaper than normal – food and drink from Lidl was fine!
- DoES is officially closed to non-keyholders from 5pm Friday 21st Dec to 9am Thursday 3rd Jan, with the exception of Thursday 27th and Friday 28th, when we’re aiming to be open for visitors. Keyholders / Out of Hours members can still enter at any time.
- Sean and Matt have been working on plans for a non-destructive robot tournament, to run in January or February.
- Mike suggests holding an in-person workshop that people can attend to learn more, before the competition.
- Matt is working on setting up a Discourse channel for planning.
- ACTION: Folks to have a think about future workshops (like the Christmas Decoration workshop) we could run in the first half of 2019. Valentines Day? Mothers Day? Easter?
- We’re breaking even, but we have a cashflow issue.
- Discussion of switching people to Direct Debits via GoCardless. Give a discount for payment via DD?
- Discussion of capping Out Of Hours access to certain number of visits or certain amount of time?
- Could we add a doorbot to the lasers, so we can track how much time each invidual person uses?
- ACTION: Sean to put a label / sheet on honesty boxes asking people to make a note if they’re paying for their time / membership in cash, so we can make a note in the accounts.
- We’ve struggled to pay the service charge this month, mostly because electricity bill has been high, and we had two unusual expenses (conflict resolution training and accountancy fees).
- ACTION: Zarino to keep an eye on the air con temperature settings – 21℃ should be plenty?
- ACTION: Sean to investigate whether we’re locked into our energy supplier, and whether it’s a competitive price.
- Some discussion of whether the accountancy fees were reasonable / whether they paid for themselves.
- Discussion of plans to put SONOFF switches on the high-power devices (eg: laser cutters) to track power usage.
- The open windows in the laser room (for extraction) are a problem
- Discussion of signage on high-power machines, telling people how much they cost to run, per hour.
- ACTION: Sean & Mike to recap (via github / Adrian / John) the latest plans for extraction in laser room.
Current Room Usage
- Ben needs Dinky to be sorted, so he can use it along with the soundproof room.
- ACTION: Mike to rebuild large wooden dining table.
- ACTION: Sean G to organise furniture moving day, on January Maker Day.
- Other things:
- Discussion of tidying up the "alcove" next to the CNC room.
- Nuclear Sean has come up with a layout for fitting Morris the non-functional laser cutter into the laser room.
- ACTION: Sean & Mike to plan a day for people to help clearing out the alcove and moving Morris.
- ACTION: Mike to put up the 4 black kitchen cupboards.
- We’ve been nominated for an award from Inclusive Economy Liverpool (award ceremony at the end of January).
- Adrian has set up "Fresh / Stale / Last chance" boxes as a way to clear unwanted stuff out of the space.
- The 4-inch and 6-inch extraction tubes in laser room are leaking.
- ACTION: Mike to measure pipes and send lengths to Sean G for purchasing.
- ACTION: Mike & Nuclear Sean to work out plan for putting the blowers outside the building, to reduce noise.
- Doors have been primed, but not painted. When can we get round to that?
- Zarino and Sean cleared out the fridge today. There was some really old stuff in there. Need to do it more often!
Confirm time & date of next meeting
- 17th January, 1pm
Clone this wiki locally
Press h to open a hovercard with more details.