Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
- Steve S
- Alex L
- Chris H
- Guy F
- Sean G
- Jen F
- Patrick F
- Jackie P
Steve gives the intro about keeping short, regular meetings.
Review of/actions from last meeting (review list and new actions from the meeting should be raised as issues straight away rather than minuted-and-then-raised-afterwards)
Not many people here were in the last meeting, so we're leaving this for today. (We couldn't find the previous minutes and hadn't prepared. We'll check for the next meeting.)
- Currently running even, although we've had a slight reduction in permanent deskers, who hasn't been replaced yet.
- Most of our income comes from permanent deskers, followed by workshop users and regular users.
- DoES now gets small business rates relief from this year.
- Sean is on a crusade to increase usage of the space.
- We're seeing pressure from pure co-working spaces as there are now more in the city, and DoES really needs to decide on and publicise it's USP.
- Guy talks about he only found DoES almost by accident, asks about the options of a "visit DoES day"/"open day".
- Discussion about how the website should very clear about DoES's offering, and
- Guy offered to find some options for re-theming the website.
- The suggestion is raised that the social media/website/public facing areas should be more coherent.
- We've agreed that we will look at the website as being more forward facing, and Guy (and Lu) and Steve will make those updates coordinated by Steve.
- DoES currently has 15 different event groups each month, which several people in the meeting (and in new users outside) are not very aware of.
- Guy to have a talk with Sean afterwards about some of the possibilities of how training events might work.
- Alex points out how moneysavingexpert has been very successful with having a very clear funding policy, and that this might then be a benefit for DoES.
- Knitic and Made invaders are very popular.
- There is a cost of attendance, which can put people off.
- Although the minibus hire did help.
- JR mentioned at the event that it might be possible to get a DoES discount for a hotel, and will look into the options for next year.
- December 2017 would be a good time to revisit this.
- More display items (which we might get from LpoolMakeFest) and some explanation boards would help.
- Should DoES add another group project for 2018? - Jen will lead this to start after LpoolMakeFest.
- LpoolMakeFest will be taking over the library this year (72 tables) and are full.
- Some Children in Need funding with I Heart Tech to do some tech outreach with kids from the area.
- Big Women in Tech area at the front of the library.
- Jackie is the DoES lead, and DoES has 4 spaces across the event (volunteer positions available).
- What does DoES want from attending MakeFest?
- Profile raising
- Wearables (and other groups)
- Need to consolidate the message that DoES is presenting to prospective users.
- Sean to lead the promotion choices (including the web-direction from above). This might include an A5 flyer design in time MakeFest.
- DoES has become more focused on the move, and we have a good idea of the space and cost requirements available to us.
- It is important for DoES that we stay in the city centre, although we are looking wider — and have a location map to work to.
- This means DoES's target is to move in the next 6 months — and the move group is working more, and meeting frequently to keep this on track.
- DoES is now looking harder at finding places, including talking to the council to find out about empty buildings.
- Alex asks about if there is any contents cover to items that DoES users have in the space. Sean will have a look at our current cover, and advise if DoES users will need to cover that themselves.
- Guy asked about if there was a better way of on-boarding new visitors
- this links in with the stagnated handbook project.
- Sean has this on his list of things to look at,
- and Guy offered if he can help with this.
Confirm time & date of next meeting
- Steve says we're not going to do this now.