Laser Cutter Tutorial
- You need to attend the LASER CUTTER TRAINING before you are eligible to operate the laser cutter
- Must be PRESENT and MONITOR the laser cutter when it is on
- STOP the machine (open the lid) when your material is ON FIRE. The fire can burn the optical lens which will cost at least $300.
- OPEN the fume extractor BEFORE you run the laser cutting job
Prepare Your Files
1. General Rules
The Universal Laser Cutter use Color and Line Width to identify different type of cutting.
BLACK for RASTERIZE
RED LINE for VECTOR CUT
BLUE LINE for VECTOR SCORE
For Vector Cut and Vector Score, choose the THINNEST possible line
2. 1-Touch Laser Photo - Rasterize a Photo
To RASTERIZE a photo, you can use the application 1-Touch Laser Photo, which is installed on the Laser Cutter Computer.
Illustrator Template File (Download)
The template file contains most of the information you need.
#####!!!ATTENTION!!! Set STROKE to 0.01pt for VECTOR OPERATION To make the Laser Cutter do VECTOR OPERATION, you will need to set the stroke to 0.01pt, any value other than 0.01pt will make the Laser Cutter do RASTERIZE CUT.
Save Your File
To print your file, save it as PDF and transfer it to the laser cutter computer via USB thumb drive. Read Cutting Your File for more detail.
Prepare Your Materials
1. Turn on the computer
Turn the computer and wait until you login to the laser-cutter user account
2. Open the UCP control program
Double click the UCP app icon on the desktop.
It will open this program
The power button on the top right corner should be RED. If it is gray, please reconnect the USB cable, close the program, and open it again.
3. Power up the laser cutter
You need to first power up the computer to turn on the laser cutter because part of the power the laser cutter consume comes from the computer.
There are two ways to power up the laser cutter
1. Use the dedicated power button on the machine
2. Use the power button on the software
During the powering up, you will hear the gear moving noise from the machine. It is the laser cutter trying to initialize and self-calibrate. Please wait until the noise stop, and the bottom left corner of UCP turn from Initializing to Idle
If the calibration sound from the laser cutter stops, but the UCP program is still not in Idle mode. Close the program and reopen it again.
!!!IMPORTANT!!!: DO NOT CLICK ON THE PLAY BUTTON YET
4. Prepare to print your file
1. Open your PDF file in Adobe Reader
2. Adjust the Printer Settings
On the right-hand side, you can adjust the laser power.
Always do a test cutting before proceeding any major task. The default setting might not suit your needs. A test cutting can prevent from causing serious danger and wasting material.
Enter the correct material thickness. You can use the caliber in the Studio.
Always measures your material before cutting. The stock specs might be different from the actual material.
Other settings should remain unchanged.
Click Apply to apply your changes, and click OK to close the window.
Press Print to send your file to UCP program. It won't trigger the laser cutter yet.
5. Adjusting the Position
Click one of the nine anchor points, and click "To Pointer" to move the anchor point to the blue anchor point we set previously in focus view.
Use these two features to make sure your design can fit into your material. !!!IMPORTANT!!!: Wherever there is a design on the cutting area, your material should cover it. Never that the laser hit the cutting table directly.
6. Open the Fume Extractor and Ready to Print
Once the fume extractor is running, double check all of your settings, and you should ready to go.
Close the door. And you can hit the Green button to Start running your laser-cutting job.
7. !!!IMPORTANT!!! Safety
- Stop the laser-cutting job when there is smoke in the chamber
- Stop the laser-cutting job when the flame is too large
- Never let the laser beam cut directly on the honeycomb
- Keep an eye on the laser cutter all the time
8. Clean Up and Turn off the Machine.
When you finish your cutting. You need to
- Turn off the fume extractor
- Remove all of the material that is left on the cutting table
- Close the door of laser cutter
- Turn off the laser cutter
- Log off the computer